DirecTV retired, but the dish stayed, what can I do for re..

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv,alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb,rec.video.satellite.misc (More info?)

Hi all,

DirecTV is stopping his service in my country. They retired the box but the
dish stayed intact on my roof. I heard there are some free satellite signals
on the sky. I wonder I can connect to any of them. Which box will I need?
How to reposition the dish? Can you point me to free satellite resources on
the net?

Thanks in advance
Faustino
7 answers Last reply
More about directv retired dish stayed
  1. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv,alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb,rec.video.satellite.misc (More info?)

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:32:20 -0600, "Faustino Dina"
    <ffdina@matusa.com.mx> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >DirecTV is stopping his service in my country. They retired the box but the
    >dish stayed intact on my roof. I heard there are some free satellite signals
    >on the sky. I wonder I can connect to any of them. Which box will I need?
    >How to reposition the dish? Can you point me to free satellite resources on
    >the net?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >Faustino

    See Lyngsat.com for satellite listings.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv,alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb,rec.video.satellite.misc (More info?)

    Faustino Dina wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > DirecTV is stopping his service in my country. They retired the box but the
    > dish stayed intact on my roof. I heard there are some free satellite signals
    > on the sky. I wonder I can connect to any of them. Which box will I need?
    > How to reposition the dish? Can you point me to free satellite resources on
    > the net?

    There are indeed many "Free To Air" channles available, but yer not
    gonna see a single one with that tiny dish.
    You need a completely different system.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv,alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb,rec.video.satellite.misc (More info?)

    An mpeg-2 fta receiver,a 1Meter Ku band dish and a standard linear ku
    lnbf -at least.

    "AH#49 writes" <GRONK@BCComics.net> wrote in message

    > Faustino Dina wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> DirecTV is stopping his service in my country. They retired the box but
    >> the
    >> dish stayed intact on my roof. I heard there are some free satellite
    >> signals
    >> on the sky. I wonder I can connect to any of them. Which box will I need?
    >> How to reposition the dish? Can you point me to free satellite resources
    >> on
    >> the net?
    >
    > There are indeed many "Free To Air" channles available, but yer not
    > gonna see a single one with that tiny dish.
    > You need a completely different system.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv,alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb,rec.video.satellite.misc (More info?)

    <ffdina@matusa.com.mx> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >DirecTV is stopping his service in my country. They retired the box but the
    >dish stayed intact on my roof. I heard there are some free satellite signals
    >on the sky. I wonder I can connect to any of them. Which box will I need?
    >How to reposition the dish? Can you point me to free satellite resources on
    >the net?

    What size dish. GLA Mexico is gone?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv,alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb,rec.video.satellite.misc (More info?)

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:06:58 -0500, kryppy <kryppy@gmail.cc> wrote:

    >On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:32:20 -0600, "Faustino Dina"
    ><ffdina@matusa.com.mx> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>DirecTV is stopping his service in my country. They retired the box but the
    >>dish stayed intact on my roof. I heard there are some free satellite signals
    >>on the sky. I wonder I can connect to any of them. Which box will I need?
    >>How to reposition the dish? Can you point me to free satellite resources on
    >>the net?
    >

    >What size dish. GLA Mexico is gone?

    AFAIK, GLA never had a Mexico affiliate. Mexico's DBS service was Sky
    Mexico, and used FSS Ku on one of the Mexican satellites, or PAS9.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv,alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb,rec.video.satellite.misc (More info?)

    Faustino, you won't see very much with the DirecTV equipment
    but if you have a 90 cm Sky Mexico dish and LNBF and an MPEG2 receiver
    there is lots to see. You can also use the Sky LNBF on a DirecTV dish.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv,alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb,rec.video.satellite.misc (More info?)

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 09:59:01 -0500, Gary J. Tait
    <classicsat@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:06:58 -0500, kryppy <kryppy@gmail.cc> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:32:20 -0600, "Faustino Dina"
    >><ffdina@matusa.com.mx> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all,
    >>>
    >>>DirecTV is stopping his service in my country. They retired the box but the
    >>>dish stayed intact on my roof. I heard there are some free satellite signals
    >>>on the sky. I wonder I can connect to any of them. Which box will I need?
    >>>How to reposition the dish? Can you point me to free satellite resources on
    >>>the net?
    >>

    >>What size dish. GLA Mexico is gone?
    >
    >AFAIK, GLA never had a Mexico affiliate. Mexico's DBS service was Sky
    >Mexico, and used FSS Ku on one of the Mexican satellites, or PAS9.

    Yeah, it needed a universal on p9.

    What is he talking about?

Satellite TV Video MPEG DVB Home Theatre