Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom 920 II x4 socket am3?

Last response: in CPUs
July 23, 2009 11:13:39 PM

So i just ordered a phenom II 920 x4 and a am3 gigabyte motherboard. But then I read in a recent Tom's hardware article that the 920 doesn't support ddr3 or an am3 socket? Here's the quote

"Not all Phenom II X4 CPUs support DDR3; only the models 955, 945, 805, 810 and 910 are DDR3 versions for socket AM3—all other models are for socket AM2+ only."

So did I just screw myself?

Wait just looked on newegg says the processor is a AM2+ socket.

"CPU Socket Type Socket AM2+"

So I just scrwed myself didn't i?
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2009 11:31:12 PM

Sorry, but yes you did.
An AM3 socket CPU will fit and work on a AM2+ OR AM3 motherboard.
An AM2+ socket CPU will only work on a AM2+ motherboard.
The socket is not really the problem, as the socket is the same. It is the memory controller.
An AM3 motherboard uses DDR3, only the AM3 CPU has a DDR3 memory controller, and it also has a DDR2 memory controller, that's why it will work on the AM2+ boards as well.

The AM2+ CPU has ONLY a DDR2 memory controller. It will only work on a AM2+ board with DDR2 memory.

I am sure if you call them up, you can make the needed changes.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2009 11:31:29 PM

Yep.

You'll need either a new motherboard and RAM or a new CPU.
m
l
July 23, 2009 11:37:07 PM

jitpublisher said:
Sorry, but yes you did.
An AM3 socket CPU will fit and work on a AM2+ OR AM3 motherboard.
An AM2+ socket CPU will only work on a AM2+ motherboard.
The socket is not really the problem, as the socket is the same. It is the memory controller.
An AM3 motherboard uses DDR3, only the AM3 CPU has a DDR3 memory controller, and it also has a DDR2 memory controller, that's why it will work on the AM2+ boards as well.

The AM2+ CPU has ONLY a DDR2 memory controller. It will only work on a AM2+ board with DDR2 memory.

I am sure if you call them up, you can make the needed changes.

Thing is all of it has been shipped to me and will be here in the next day or so. Newegg has a no refund on the amd processor... So I guess I'll have to send back the motherboard and wait another 1-2 weeks for an am2+ to get here...
m
l
!