Yoshinat0r

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I have a Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB Solid State Drive. when I first put the computer together and ran the WEI I got a 7.9 for this drive. Just recently I decided to re-run the assessment and the score dropped to 7.5. I decided to try re-installing the Marvell SATA 6 GB/s Controller driver and the score actually increased to 7.8. I assume some viruses actually got in and corrupted the drivers, since I had a ton of viruses when I scanned. Now I'm just concerned why it's stuck at 7.8 and not 7.9. I know that it's a very small difference and kind of silly to rely on WEI, but it still bothers me that this drive used to get a 7.9 score. Are there any other drivers that could have been corrupted that would affect the Disk score? There are no more viruses on this computer, I scanned with a few different ones, like Malware-Bytes and Avira, and it removed all of them.

I know a .1 difference is very small, but I don't like the fact that it's lower than what I originally had, even if I can't really notice a performance decrease. I really wish I could figure out why it's not receiving the 7.9 score anymore.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Your virus scanners may have removed the viruses from your computer but they cannot undo the damage that the virus has done. If your hand gets a bacteria or infection and needs to be amputated, the anti-biotic you take or disinfectant may kill the bacteria or infection but your hand cannot be UN-amputated and put back. Same goes for viruses. More over, just because Malware-Bytes and Avira scanned doesn't mean anything, you might still have plenty of viruses.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

What does your X25-M G2 get?...mine gets a 7.8.

Yoshinat0r

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
hmmm well I was curious so I did some research and it seems ssd's really do slow down the more you use them, although it seems that only write speed is largely affected. I ran a disk read/write monitoring program that I had run when I first got the ssd, and it seems that my write speed did decrease a little from it's initial speed, which would explain the slight score decrease. That's pretty unfortunate that that happens, though from what I read, a secure erase/format would restore the drive back to its initial speed?

To be honest, I'm also not entirely sure if the computer is virus-free, so I probably will just do a fresh install of windows, which means I might as well do the secure format too.

Yoshinat0r

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
yea no kidding lol that's why I was considering not giving my primary gaming computer an internet connection. I can accept the problem with the SSD's, as the decrease in performance is barely noticeable (if at all), and takes a long time. But the viruses are just ridiculous, and can screw your system up so fast. It doesn't seem to matter how careful I am on the internet, I always get loaded with them. And it's like blackhawk said, you can remove them, but the damage is already done.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
IDK about you guys but my SSD has trim and I've had it for a year and its write speed is practically the same...actually it is the same. SO you if your SSD has trim there is no point in the secure format, just reinstall windows and it will be fine. And yoshinat0r, viruses must love your PC lol, i've had my system for a year and I do tons of web browsing and i never had a virus, actually had 1 but removed it. You sure you are using a good AV, updating it and using your firewall?

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

It depends on how you are using your SSD. If it only has the OS on it and all other documents on a HDD then you are not writing to the SSD enough to cause any degradation.

However, if you have only the SDD with everything on it and you are doing a lot of writes and deletes then you will see degradation faster.

Yoshinat0r

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Actually I forgot I had all of my firewalls turned off because I do a lot of LAN gaming with my friends and it always interferes. Maybe that could've been some of the issue :na: Also I've been going without an active AV guard for a long time, only just recently started using one. Normally I've just been scanning with Malware-bytes every day or so, guess that's not really good enough lol

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Wow...and you're surprised?

randomizer

Champion
Having a firewall off essentially places are target on your computer. Not only is it open to attack , but it also tells every computer that does a port scan which of its ports are open and which are closed, so it's basically telling the whole world "I have x,y and z security holes, come and attack me!"

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
I can't imagine going for even a second without a Firewall and AV guard...having nothing is just crazy. For "reasonable" security you should have a firewall, user account control on, an anti-virus/anti-malware guard and a password IMO.

Yoshinat0r

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Well as far as firewalls go, I was always told that they're pretty useless, never really knew for sure myself. Having no AV guard, however, I know was pretty bad. I just didn't realize how much malware and viruses would actually attack your computer if you didn't have those things. Now I'm a little more knowledgeable to say the least XD

randomizer

Champion
If you have a router then it will most likely have a firewall (unless that is what you disabled). Router/hardware firewalls are generally pretty good because they don't just keep ports closed, they hide them as well, although I'm sure there are software firewalls that also do this. When a port scanner probes your computer the router simply doesn't respond and the computer doing the scanning doesn't know any better so moves onto the next target. If you're using NAT (which you almost certainly are if you have a router) then the router will never respond even to legitimate packets unless they are a reply to a connection initiated by a computer on your network, or if you've explicitly allowed an external computer to initiate a connection with a computer on your LAN (ie. port forwarding).

Yoshinat0r

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Upon doing a fresh install of Windows 7 and re-running the WEI score, it has dropped to 7.6. Oh joy lol I'm beginning to not even care about WEI at this point, it seems so inconsistent. Just to see why exactly it was getting a 7.6, I typed "winsat disk" into the command prompt and these were the results:

winsatdiskresults.jpg

To compare, I ran a new ssd benchmarking tool called AS SSD and here are the results I got from that:

asssdresults.jpg

The AS SSD results are just about on par with the rated speeds of this drive, but the results of winsat are showing a seqeuntial read speed of 258 MB/s, which is significantly lower, about 100 MB/s drop. I don't know what exactly to believe.

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

NO KIDDING!!!!!!
Must people dont know this and they keep testing their SSDs.

People really need to learn how to and take the time to research things on the internet.

Yoshinat0r

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I was only wondering why the windows harddisk assessment was showing a much lower sequential read than all the other programs I was using to test the drive. Things like that just bother me, I can't help it. I'm much more concerned with numbers than the actual feel of the performance, it's just the way I've always been.

randomizer

Champion

They all read and write different data. Many companies rate their drives using ATTO because it typically produces bigger numbers.

TRENDING THREADS