GTX 260 OC upgrade ?

Hello all, I am thinking about upgrading my GPU, I have a GTX260 OC atm and thinking of trying out the HD4770 xfire setup. How much performance increase will I see with the xfire setup over a single GTX260 OC, I know the FPS will increase but will games run smoother and be able to turn on more eye candy? I picked up the GTX260 for 169 with a 30 dollars MIR witch I got back  knock on wood and a free CoDwaw game so really I paid about 120 for the card. I can sell my card to a friend for 100 bucks and pay about 120 more for the xfire HD 4770 so will 120 be worth the upgrade? Thanks Niklas

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I doubt its worth it...or you would notice much of an improvement...its always better to stick with a single card vs two or more...

No, in my opinion for the slight increase in fps vs possible cf issues and the lower vram no its not worth 100$....noooo way

Hello and welcome to the forums mate :)
No its not worth it,is there any games that your GTX 260 cant handle @ good settings ?
Take this advice,upgrade something when u dont get the performance u need,dont just upgrade because something new is out.

^+1 The GTX 260 OC is a very good card...
The best noticeable upgrade for that card would be either a HD 5870/5890 or GTX 360/GTX 38X when ever they come out :p
That card could hold on till that easy...unless you are planning to change the monitor with resolution 2500X1600 :p

Hi all Thanks for the replies. No I don’t plan on changing my REZ anytime soon. I just bought this 22” My GTX 260 OC is the 192 not the 216. I am not a hard core gamer anymore. My days of 6 level 50s in DAOC 3 level 220s in anarchy online and 2 level 70s in WOW are over but when I do play CoD I like to have a smooth game play with lots of eye candy on. This card does play very well on this setup. I was just wondering because I am thinking of trying out some different games like Left 4 Dead/crysis/and maybe some other FPS games. RP games are like crack 2 me must stay away from them lol. Thanks for the input saved me 120 bucks 

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Ha my 9800GTX+ with an AMD 4400+ 2.6ghz and a meager 2gbs of ram loved left 4 dead split screen @ 1920x1080 on all high settings minus aa and vsync :D no slow down PERIOD!!!!!

I hate crysis...even if my system could run it flawlessly i would rather play SMB3 on my NES....so much more to games than a pretty ocean and some nice explosions....

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Yeahp.

Like i said its just not my kind of game....i won't touch arcadey racing games with a ten foot pole either....i'm a picky gamer

I wouldn't upgrade if I were you. Not worth it. Even with the 192 core version of the GTX 260 you should be PLENTY fine with CoD. Even at 1920 x 1080 you'd kick it pretty easy with CoD4 or CoD:WAW.

Even Crysis should play fine with your setup. Your sig shows you're using an E8500. That coupled with your GTX 260 should give you decent FPS (keeping in mind Crysis is hard on the fastest of GPUs).