• Hard Drives
  • Hitachi
  • Format
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 28, 2010 4:40:39 AM

Heres my issue: I was having problems moving, saving, or deleting items to and from my Hitachi SimpleDrive USB 1TB hard drive. So i decided to reformat it to solve the problem. This is where the problems come up.

It now wont let me format it (errors include: "Media is write protected", "Windows cannot complete the format" format takes a little while to start then stops after a minute or so)

I have tried to format in disc manager and also some other tools but none seem to work.

Please help me!!!!!! I will give any information needed to assist.

P.S. I have tried partitioning it with no success

More about : format issues

a c 415 G Storage
November 28, 2010 2:14:57 PM

It certainly seems like you've got some fort of issue with the disk. Is it internal? Try using a utility that can report the SMART error counters (such as "DiskCheckup").

If it's an external drive, I think I'd remove it from it's case, mount it internally, and check the SMART counters on it.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#ATA_S.M.A.R.T._...
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 29, 2010 10:47:57 PM

It is a External Drive. and if i did install it internally how would I fix it?
m
l
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
November 29, 2010 11:11:44 PM

Well I'm not sure whether you could fix it or not, but if you can connect it internally then you'll be able to look at the SMART counters and get a little better idea what the problem is. If you've got reallocated sectors then you're seeing a problem with the drive itself, but if you've got protocol errors then it's more likely to be a (less serious) connection problem.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 30, 2010 12:25:50 AM

ill try that asap ill reply back once i try it
m
l
!