Power supply/cpu cooler quiet/adequate for i7?

cappaj1

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
I'm building an i7(2.66) / P6T/ 6gb 1600/ Vista 64 pc. Are the below choices good for low sound level, and adequate power?

1) Corsair 650w 80+ power supply $100 - is it adequate, and quiet? Others that are better and as inexpensive?

2) Asus HD4870 512MB video card -$165- are there quieter cards with similar performance for same price or less?

3) Zalman cpu cooler/Arctic Silver paste&cleaner $75total - any as good that are as quiet or quieter for same price or less?

4) Two Barracuda 750GB 7200rpm drives - $80 ea -again, any as good that are quieter?

5) Cooler Master Centurion 5 mid tower case $50 - are the stock fans quiet enough, and if not, what ones would be better?

I'm on a budget and want to keep the cost of this system as low as possible.

I'm also thinking of adding AcousticPack computer case insulation. Any negatives to this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

For good info on quiet computing go to www.silentpcreview.com.
They have tested many of the components you are asking about, and I think you can do better.

Off the top of my head:

Corsair650 is one of the best.

Asus engtx260 is quiet. I think the nvidia stock coolers on the GTX275 are similar.
Some oem coolers are also very effective and quiet.

Noctua probably makes the quietest fans, and their cooler is very good.

I think the WD green drives are quieter, but they are not as fast as some others.

Antec P182 is probably one of the quietest cases you can get.
It has acoustic panels and sound baffled intakes.