GPU Core Clock failing

dottgamma

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
What is the problem here?
Is it that I'm just dumb and this means realtime current GPU clock settings, or is it really that low?

Snip:
capturemu.png

My specs:

Manufacturer:
Custom Build | GAMMWARE-PC(My Own name and build)
Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory:
3072MB RAM 667Mhz CL5
Hard Drive:
Samsung F2 HD101SI 1TB 5400RPM 32MB Cache Internal.(1)
Video Card:
ATI XFX 4890 | 1024MB | GDDR5 | XFX HD-489X-ZSFC
Monitor:
HP w1907 19" TFT Active Matrix | 1440x900p | 5MS
Operating System:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
Motherboard:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3L w/ socket 775; DDR2
Computer Case:
Aerocools PGS Vx-R Premium Black Gaming Case.
PSU:
600 Watt Rosewill Value2 Series.

I have all the requirements I believe... Legit Windows, pretty good hardware, etc...

I know my RAM is ugly lol
One more thing, before I had the XFX ATI 4890 which I just got, I had a PNY NvIDIA 9600GSO 768MB GDDR3 and a 400 watt ultra generic PSU. I had a LOT of fps then. Now When I play games, I lag hard. All I did was improve my hardware, why does it want to fail on me?

I'm not computer idiot, I knows a lots abouts computers... :D
But this just stumps me.

Can you give me a solution... Overclocking it doesn't change the core clock either, only lowering it does, which just makes it worse. When I Re-Lock the GPU Overdrive it still stays at 300MHz, and I still lag just as much.

Thanks,
Matt.

Solution
It clocks down to save power when not in use. See the little guage that says "Activity 0%"?

When you start playing a game, it will go up to it's full speed.

Why you have lag, I have no idea. Do you have the latest drivers? Did you properly clean out your Nvidia drivers before installing ATI drivers?

Gpu could be overheating as 54c is my max temp on my HD5850, yours shows 54c at idle. (possibly you just shut a game down?) Alt-tab out of a game while playing and see what the temps shows then.

Another thing is Rosewill PSU's are complete garbage, you might as well have built your own psu. lol
It clocks down to save power when not in use. See the little guage that says "Activity 0%"?

When you start playing a game, it will go up to it's full speed.

Why you have lag, I have no idea. Do you have the latest drivers? Did you properly clean out your Nvidia drivers before installing ATI drivers?

Gpu could be overheating as 54c is my max temp on my HD5850, yours shows 54c at idle. (possibly you just shut a game down?) Alt-tab out of a game while playing and see what the temps shows then.

Another thing is Rosewill PSU's are complete garbage, you might as well have built your own psu. lol

Solution