Downcloking BFG GTX285 1024 OCXE

mokruxa

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
BFG Tech BFGEGTX2851024OCXE GeForce GTX 285 1GB
702MHz (vs. 648MHz standard)

BFG forgot about stability. The card freezes during game play.The overclocked edition is not stable. I want to try to downclock GTX285 OCX back to standard 648MHz. I would appreciate any help that would guide me through the downclocking process: software, step by step guide.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
:sarcastic:

*sigh*

I wish i could afford a 285 but im always to busy reading up on what i buy thus i have no job....

EVGA percision...it doesn't take a genius to find this app is pretty standard with ALL brands and 200 series cards etc yaddda whatever

Did you try searching? do you even have your fan speed controlled? do you even know what your card temps are underload :heink:

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Sigh... If all consumers were like you I would be a very very rich man. You were sold a card that is warantied to run at those speeds. You paid more for it (probalby a lot more)! Don't just settle for down clocking, take the ah heck back and demand a replacement or refund!!

Also, when you are investing in a card like this.. don't cheep out on a case and air flow...

mokruxa

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
well. thank you all for such active participation but that is not what I was asking for. I would not post on Toms just to find out that defective product could take RMA

This is my third RMA card. First two cards would not even start. It is unlikely that I got three defective card in a row. If that's the case, BFG sucks big. Newegg has deactivated this item. This is clearly not well designed product The computer case has pretty good airflow: 3X120mm intakes and 3x120mm exhausts. I do monitor temperature on GPU with GPU-Z soft; it was around 40. However, GPU fan runs at 40% its speed. I'm just not sure if rpm is dynamic or static value? Does it change depending on the load?

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
The Fan speed increases with temperature, you can override that with things like rivatuner and run it at a static value if you want. There are several guides in the overclocking forums if you really want to downclock it, use rivatuner.

However, the card is SUPPOSED to be overclocked.. even more so if you actually have a good case/cooling.

Call newegg, explain your problem, and get them to replace it for another brand of OC card, or refund the difference and give you a non OC card. You are just throwing money at a company that clearly doesnt deserve it. I hate to see you settle for using a the card at a level that you payed hard earned money to surpase.

Perhaps you should post your full system specs including any and all overclocks and the PSU brand, wattage and +12v amperage.
If your system has failed with three different cards in a row, there is obviously something else wrong with your system.

To rule out a few components, test your RAM with Memtest then test your CPU with Prime95 using a small FFT torture test making sure error checking is turned on.
Keep track of your temps with Coretemp or Realtemp to ensure your CPU is not overheating.
Also, try logging you GPU temps during a crash and see what the max temps are.
Your GPU is designed to handle 105°C but, ideally, it should be running under 90°C under full load.
If all tests pass with no issues, I suspect you are suffering from a cheap/weak PSU which is failing under a load.

mokruxa

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Thank you for the test suggestion. The results were just like I expected: System functioned stable under intense load for extensive period of time. Memtest revealed No errors, Prime95 revealed No errors. I've evidenced no error, no warnings ,no malfunctions, no strange behavior or temperature dangerous increase. There are some screenshots of system readings while performing under stress-tests, and also under no load.
The System details will show in screenshots.
Some other system details:
chassis: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP ATX Mid Tower
Intake fans: 120mm front, 120mm side, 120mm bottom , each S-Flex by Scythe 63,7 cfm
Exhaust fans 2x120m top , 120mm rear (stock)
This configuration should be able to provide an adequate airflow.

PSU: COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-650-ACAA-A1 650W 12V V2.3
2pq732c.jpg

SCREENSHOTS:
CPU no load
11bos9u.jpg

CPU temperature under no load
15qoqb7.jpg

CPU under 100% load (stress-test both cores)
10xvpg0.jpg

CPU under 100% load (memory tab)
34gvj9i.jpg

CPU temperature under 100% load (stress-test both cores)
2rqdet1.jpg

GPU at no load.(system stable. no graphic application launched)
5332fs.jpg

GPU temperature (no load)
14d24if.jpg

mokruxa

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Is that name for the software?
I will try to speed up the fan but I seriously doubt that it will make any difference because the card freezes after 4minutes of playing a regular avi movie. no changes in temperature.

thanks

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

hmmm...that really just sucks...i would send my card in and either request a more powerful card or something they can beforehand setup and tell me that works 100%...that or request your money back i mean you will have rma'd 3 times with 3 different cards

Most companies want to help there customer out and i believe if you pushed it you could get in the direction of one of the above suggestions

If you can play the disgruntled customer part well enough believe me it will get you some where...

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
80-85% is USELESS ...

I run my BFG GTX285 OC2 ( 694 coreclock ... ) @ 60% while gaming and i never hit over 60c on the GPU. The highest ive seen is while running a GPU stress test and was 70c ( with 70% fan speed ).

I have the SAME case, similar fans... You have another issue milord ... You ever ran a 8hrs Prime 95 with your OCed CPU ... my guess is your OC that isnt stable ..

My last E6850 needed near 1.45vcore (bios) to run @ 3.4 ghz ...

Run a 8hrs Prime95 and come back here with th result.

Use :

Prime95 : run a blend
Coretemp : Watch temp ...
CPUz : Monitor Vcore ...

mokruxa

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009

Thank you. It sounds like a ration approach. I will try 8 hrs stress test. Last , I ran Prime95 for 2,5hrs - stable. Also, would you say it be would be a wise to downclock cpu to 3.2Ghz for stability purposes?

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
It can be mobo related. I was running my E6850 on a Asus P5N32-E SLI plus. This is a stripped Striker Extreme. Some PPL tell me that ive been locky to reach 3.6ghz on this mobo ( 1600 fsb on this mobo NB is high and it gets hot ).

But i was 100% stable @ 3.37ghz with very low mobo Volts and 1.45vcore bios. Only going for 3.6 vs 3.37 was using a huge amount off volts on all parts :( so i finally decided to run @ 3.37 for stability.

3.6 was not 8hrs prime stable. 3.37 was 8hrs +++ stable .. But my OC was mobo limited. With a P5Q and the same proco i reached my 3.6 stable. But only a week later i swapped to a Q9550 ;)

If you reach a point where you need to push lots more V on parts ... its the point where you have to stop your OC.

mokruxa

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Hmmm.... It's an interesting thought. I am running on GA-EP45-DS3L (rev. 1.0)
Do you think the mobo is limiting OC and/or causing the trouble with GPU? What do you think can be realistically done to this board in terms of tweaking in order to insure stability and peak level of efficiency?
I appreciate your input

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Heh....you are forgetting one big difference as a possibilty....room temperature :sarcastic:

All of my systems run up to 5-10c cooler at my work due to my bedroom having a lack of good air conditioning...i run two house fans from the bedroom door to the sides of both of my open case pcs and the gpu fans are usually on 60% unless its a hot day or im doing ALOT of overclocking

I usually make sure my gpus set at 50c and never rise above 53-55....of course staying in those temps with low fan speeds is very lucky and consists of having both of the house fans running along with my bedroom door open to allow the cool air to pull in....i close the door and EVERYTHING in this room gets hotter...

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

My room is hardly a nice cool temperature of 25c...your right though...if and only if you are in a cool room and your pc case has good airflow to the card's in take yeah 60 or 70% might work....i on the other hand do not.....

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
If you have to run your GPU fan over 75% you have a bad case airflow ... even with my room @ 27-28c i dont have to push the fan faster ... If you need to spin it @ 80% ... Buy a new case .. youl solve it.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I can usually keep my speed in the 65% and 75% depending on the clock speed and depending on the game....but yeah i run my 260 out of a prebuilt gateway case and my 9800gtx+ sits in a prebuilt lenovo case....the lenovo actually has nice cooling and combined with my low power/heat emitting 4400+ everything stays nice and cool even when going up to 830/840mhz :D .....whilst my gateway case has noooo room inside with the large hs and gpu...my hdd just leans against the side of the case....il add another fan to the front grate to give it some better airflow but overall i don't mind having the house fans bring air over to them....

So we have decided bad room temps and *** cooling causes your stuff to heat up....aren't we just brillant ;)

TRENDING THREADS