WMP10 creating playlists

April 10, 2005 6:46:53 PM

On my old WMP9 I could create playlists on my PDA by ticking boxes for
which tracks I wanted. It took ages, but worked eventually.

I can see the old playlists on WMP10, but I can't work out how to amend
them or create new ones. Can anyone help me?

--
Richard Gadsden
Anonymous

No. ;)  Thing is you can't manage playlists in Pocket MP10. The expectation
is that you do playlist management on your PC in WMP10 and then sync those
playlists.

There are some third party playlist management tools IIRC, but I don't use
them and don't recall a name. I'm sure somebody will come up with one,
though.

--
Sven
MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Richard Gadsden" <richard.gadsden@cobbetts.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o gxLCPdPFHA.2144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> On my old WMP9 I could create playlists on my PDA by ticking boxes for
> which tracks I wanted. It took ages, but worked eventually.
>
> I can see the old playlists on WMP10, but I can't work out how to amend
> them or create new ones. Can anyone help me?
>
> --
> Richard Gadsden
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 7:14:26 PM

Sven wrote:
> No. ;)  Thing is you can't manage playlists in Pocket MP10. The expectation
> is that you do playlist management on your PC in WMP10 and then sync those
> playlists.

Well, that's pretty silly!

OK, I've found out several things:

1. Sync from WMP10 is quite good, where sync from WMP9 wasn't.
2. The playlists are just .asx files which is an XML format
3. The syntax of a .asx file is pretty straightforward, so I can create
one in notepad and copy it across.

--
Richard Gadsden
"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death

> Well, that's pretty silly!
Yea, agreed.
> 1. Sync from WMP10 is quite good, where sync from WMP9 wasn't.
Guess we win some and lose some. I find the neatest feature of the sync
setup is when using the auto-playlists. If you elect to automatically sync,
the 5 star list, or the listen too on weekends list, or something, it keeps
your PPC dynamically updated as the list is dynamically updated. The
feature is really designed for the portable media centers. I can really see
the value in syncing the 'Recorded TV, not yet viewed' list, but I don't
really have the space on my PPC to do that.
--
> Sven wrote:
>> No. ;)  Thing is you can't manage playlists in Pocket MP10. The
>> expectation is that you do playlist management on your PC in WMP10 and
>> then sync those playlists.
>
> Well, that's pretty silly!
>
> OK, I've found out several things:
>
> 1. Sync from WMP10 is quite good, where sync from WMP9 wasn't.
> 2. The playlists are just .asx files which is an XML format
> 3. The syntax of a .asx file is pretty straightforward, so I can create
> one in notepad and copy it across.
>
> --
> Richard Gadsden
> "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death
> your right to say it" - Attributed to Voltaire
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 2:16:30 AM

I have WMP10 on my laptop and Ipaq4705. When I created a playlist and told
WMP10 to sync it, the music files got copied but the playlist itself dosen't
show up on the PDA when I open the library and select My Playlists.

What am I doing wrong?

Perry

"Sven" <sejohannsen(at)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> No. ;)  Thing is you can't manage playlists in Pocket MP10. The
> expectation is that you do playlist management on your PC in WMP10 and
> then sync those playlists.
>
> There are some third party playlist management tools IIRC, but I don't use
> them and don't recall a name. I'm sure somebody will come up with one,
> though.
>
> --
> Sven
> MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Richard Gadsden" <richard.gadsden@cobbetts.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o gxLCPdPFHA.2144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> On my old WMP9 I could create playlists on my PDA by ticking boxes for
>> which tracks I wanted. It took ages, but worked eventually.
>>
>> I can see the old playlists on WMP10, but I can't work out how to amend
>> them or create new ones. Can anyone help me?
>>
>> --
>> Richard Gadsden

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 2:49:35 AM

You have to choose automatic sync on the desktop. Then you are presented
with playlists to sync. Don't worry if the songs are already on the PPC, it
will recognize that and just sync the playlists. You can turn it back to
manual after that, if you just want to get them on there once.

The feature is really meant for Portable Media Centers. If you sync
Playlists like Recorded Last Night (TV on a MC PC), or Not Listened To Yet,
or Added Recently, it will dynamically keep your PMC up to date. Even just
syncing something like 4 and 5 star lets you vary your portable library by
varying the ratings applied on the desktop. It's pretty neat once you get
used to it. Be neater if I had a 20G drive in my PPC.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices

!