500 watt power suppply for an I7 and a ati 4870/4890 gpu

davidst95

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2008
Hello,

I am interested in upgrading to a intel I7 920 and an ATI 4870 or an an ATI 4890 card. I currently have a 500 power supply. Will this be enough power? If not, how many watts would I need to purchase in a new PSU? Thank you.

David

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Here is a quote from Antec; "Electrolytic capacitor aging. When used heavily or over an extended period of time (1+ years) a PSU will slowly lose some of its initial wattage capacity".
You can loose as much as 20% in a year or more depending on the use.
Starting with 500w, in a years time you could be only putting out 400w.

I recomend replacing your PSU with the upgrade.

With the X58 boards you will have an easy upgrade path to two ATI or Nvidia Cards.
If that might be in your future concider a PSU that will power two cards.

BTW...500w is the low limit for your upgrade. Higher would be better.

The psu would have to be running balls to the wall 24/7/365 to even approach that amount of capacitor aging.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007

Antec is wrong or just trying to sell higher output units?

They're not wrong, they made a generalized statement regarding capacitor aging and everyone went " oh crap my psu must be dying cause it's a year old ".
You wrote the line down "depending on use" , normal use ( including gaming ) will not cause that amount ( 20%) of capacitor aging.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
From the Antec web-site;
Electrolytic capacitor aging. When used heavily or over an extended period of time (1+ years) a PSU will slowly lose some of its initial wattage capacity. We recommend you add 20% if you plan to keep your PSU for more than 1 year, or 25-30% for 24/7 usage and 1+ years.

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

Are they saying 25-30% for 24/7 usage and 1+ years?

hmm.... for me, i would probably go for something higher that 500 Watts. maybe 600 or 750. just as a buffer to be sure that something doesn't start smoking. also Ati suggest that if you ever starts using there crossFireX™ technology that you would want to have at minimal of 600 watts. so if only 1 video card going to be use i would recommend 600 watts. if thing in the future that you would need 2 video cards then go for 750 watts.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/hd-4870/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4870-system-requirements.aspx

Yes, but again it depends also on the amount of load that you put on the unit.
Most people have systems that will run thier psu between 40-60 percent of it's capacity when stressed and aren't running it like that 24/7.
If you're Folding you might need to worry about cap aging, otherwise a properly sized psu will give you many years of service.

Try running the OP's specs thru the calculator, add the basics ; 1 HD 1 OD a few fans and 25% cap aging.
PS; remember the number that it give's is a psu wattage reccomendation not actual consumption.

rsetter1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
DellUser1 what is your recomendation to the OP?

Seems like all you want to do is make jokes or find fault with what someone says.
You are not making a constructive contributation to this thread. You are acting like a pseudo know-it-all.

davidst95...What is the Make, Model and Age of your current power supply?

Actually, with the notable exception of Enermax, if a PSU has "max" in its name, it seems to be a reference to the size of the pyrotechnic display or to the number of other parts it will take with it when it croaks.

...and yeah, I think I've said that before too.