Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2009 12:24:04 PM

Hi all from Greece !

This is my first post in this forum !

My System Configuration is:

- CPU: Intel Core Duo E6750 2,66 Ghz (overclocked to 3 Ghz)
- Mainboard: Gigabyte P35-DS4 (Latest version BIOS F13)
- RAM: DDR2 2x1024 MB Kingston PC2-6400 (400 Mhz) & 2x1024 ΜΒ Corsair PC2-6400 (400 Mhz)
- HD: 2x Western Digital RE3 7200 rpm (Mode RAID 0) & 2x Western Digital Raptor 10000 rpm (Mode RAID 0)
- VGA: 2x ASUS EAH 4850 (crossfire, Catalyst Ver. 9.4)
- DVD-RW: NEC
- Floppy Disk: 1
- PSU: TAGAN 1100 Watt

I have bought the above mentioned 2 ASUS EAH4850 vga cards before 5 days and I have the following problem:

When I play Call of Duty 2 with graphic analysis 1600x1200, Anisotropic, Antialising x4, the game runs fast at the first minutes of the gaming but after few minutes I have slowdown .. and slowdown .. in the FPS until the appearance of a Black Screen on the monitor with a sound loop (sound of the game). After the black screen i must restart the PC in order to came back in a stable situation.

Also I saw in the Sensors Section of the GPU ID Software that the core clock of the 2nd Linked Graphic Card is in 500 Mhz (not in 625 Mhz according to the specs). Is it a fault indication or a hardware fault?

The Temp during the gaming reaches the 85 degrees of Celcius and idle 50-60 degrees.

Does anyone know which is the solution of my above problem?
Is it a Hardware Failure ?
Must I change the mainboard (PCI-E Mode 16x and 4x)?
Should I send the Graphic Cards back to the shop for technical control and test?

Please advise me ASAP because my "Dead on Arivall" deadline expires tomorrow :( 

Thanks in advance for your prompt replies !

More about : asus eah4850 crossfire problem

May 11, 2009 3:11:57 PM

Well, you should disable crossfire before you play COD 2.
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2009 4:10:01 PM

Also, don't install their (Asus's) software (Gamer OSD, Card health) because at least on mine, it did weird things (it made Oblivion think my card was shader 2.0 only!)

You could also try it with one 4850 (disable in software, and if that doesn't work, physically remove one and try each separately).
Related resources
May 12, 2009 1:50:42 AM

Above all things install the Asus software. After you do take a gander at your cooling. Those are very high temps. You can setup through the asus softare a scaling fan profile that will help keep you cool. It sounds like you still have crappy cooling though.

I have a question before you do anything. Have you ever at any time had an Nvidia card on that install of your OS? If so good luck getting rid of its leftovers. Most people just reinstall tbh when making the switch from Nvidia because of the insane amounts of damage done by the old Nvidia drivers and software.
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2009 3:08:26 AM

That Temp may seem high, but it actually is ok. In SH4, my 4850 will top 100C (which I don't like, so I am getting a new cooler) but it runs stable and ain't dead yet.
May 15, 2009 8:22:11 AM

Thank you all for your replies.

My Last News regarding the above issue:

After many checks (e.g. RivaTuner, GPU-Z, CPU-Z e.t.c.) i found out that the problem was the overheating of my CPU and not the overheating of the VGA Cards.
If I install only one card then all system works fine without problems.
It means that the using of the 2 cards at the same time produce high temp in my all system cause of no free space inside the case.

For this reason I decided to change case. I bought a bigger "Aerocool" case with a BIG FUN 400 mm on the left side.
Also I sent back to the shop the 2 EAH 4850 Cards for checking.
The result of the check was a faulty VGA Card (the card with 500 Mhz instead of 625 Mhz in the core). Of course they replaced my Card with no charge.

Now I am setting all my system in my new case!
I will inform you about the general result of this case change.

P.S. I forgot to tell you that I have the confirmation from the shop technician that the 90 degrees of celsius is not a high temp for this kind of VGA Cards.
!