New home built not turning on.

jblock2490

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Hi, I just attempted to build a computer from the ground for the first time. Up until this point I had only replaced existing parts on a motherboard I had been using for a long while on a store bought computer. Anyways, upon finishing the computer, it will not turn on. Now as I'm a newbie, I'm sure I could have made some wiring mistakes, but I have checked them over and over again using the quick install guide that came with my motherboard (XFX Nforce 750i), and they all seem to be in the right place. I am using a 600 watt power supply, and as the power wasn't working, I thought that maybe this was the cause of the problem. But my power supply works fine with my old motherboard, and not the new one. << This is kind of broad, but does anyone have any thoughts as to why it might not be working?

Syrus28

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I had the exact same problem when i assembled my first build yesterday. Apparently, the screws holding the motherboard and the case together can be too tight. All I had to do is loosen the screws a bit and everything worked, and the computer booted up.

Syrus28

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Good to hear. I too was freaking out yesterday, thinking I broke something... I wonder why the manuals doesn't mention this? It's my natural reaction to tighten screws as tight as possible, but apparently that's not always the case :)

It's never the case. Manuals do not mention this because they figure that people who buy bare motherboards know how to use tools. Clearly, they're wrong. :)