Sign in with
Your question

I2500K cooling: CNPS9900A LED vs. CM Hyper 212 Plus

Last response: in Overclocking
January 18, 2011 2:55:40 PM

Not real happy with the temps in my i5 2500K rebuild - idle in the upper 30's and running Prime 95 I hit upper 80's. Already reapplied thermal paste (Geil GC Extreme) and my previous cooler, a CNPS9900A LED. I have a new Hyper 212 Plus I can use, but I don't know how it compares. Don't want to take the board out, etc. if it's not significantly better. Any thoughts one way or the other?

Thanks!
January 18, 2011 4:38:22 PM

That Zalman is keeping my 2600K in the mid 20's at idle. Sounds like too much paste. Use just a half pea sized drop in the center of the die. Nothing on the heatsink. I put too much on the first time and had temps in the mid 30's and one core was 10 to 15 degrees higher than the rest under load.
Keep the Zalman if you can its super quiet.
January 21, 2011 5:25:03 AM

src1425 said:
Not real happy with the temps in my i5 2500K rebuild - idle in the upper 30's and running Prime 95 I hit upper 80's. Already reapplied thermal paste (Geil GC Extreme) and my previous cooler, a CNPS9900A LED. I have a new Hyper 212 Plus I can use, but I don't know how it compares. Don't want to take the board out, etc. if it's not significantly better. Any thoughts one way or the other?

Thanks!

I've run across the same issue in that my idle temps run pretty high and with all my system/case fans, I'm accustomed to temps below 20degrees when idling, and now I'm in the mid 30's with my new 2500k :( 
The fact that reapplying thermal paste didn't help you, is discouraging because that was going to be my first course of action.... I was hoping to avoid having to buy a separate heatsink/fan given that the reviews on the stock fan seemed much lower than what I'm getting...
Related resources
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 21, 2011 9:56:57 AM

cpulord1 said:
I've run across the same issue in that my idle temps run pretty high and with all my system/case fans, I'm accustomed to temps below 20degrees when idling, and now I'm in the mid 30's with my new 2500k ...

I realize that it is winter in the Northern Hemisphere, but unless you are in a really cold room or outside, please tell me how you can have CPU temps below ambient air temperature.

Mid 30's C is reasonble for idle temps.

The Zalman 9500, 9700, and 9900 coolers, though kind of neat looking, are pretty medocre by today's standards. The 212+ should give you better performance. It's worth the trouble of pulling the motherboards from the case to find out.
January 21, 2011 11:59:22 AM

jsc said:
The Zalman 9500, 9700, and 9900 coolers, though kind of neat looking, are pretty medocre by today's standards. The 212+ should give you better performance. It's worth the trouble of pulling the motherboards from the case to find out.

This is the way I'm leaning. Now I just need to figure out if I want to add some case fans while I'm at it.
January 21, 2011 5:15:19 PM

jsc said:
I realize that it is winter in the Northern Hemisphere, but unless you are in a really cold room or outside, please tell me how you can have CPU temps below ambient air temperature.

Mid 30's C is reasonble for idle temps.

I used to run a e6600 with a ninja scythe2 in a antec nine hundred case so yes, it would actually run cooler than room temperature when idling.... maybe i'm crazy but that's what it used to read.

of course now, i'm running a totally different build, new mobo, 2500k (not OC'd yet) with the stock fan in the same antec nine hundred case but much hotter. The reviews had the 2500k with stock fan running at 26 celsius on stock fan, so I thought something has gotta be wrong if I'm running much higher....I'm worried about when I overclock or put it under full load
February 1, 2011 9:00:17 AM

I'm using a CM hyper 212+ with tuniq tx-2 on a I5 2500K at 4 Ghz, is these temperatures at idle normal?Room temperature 30-35 degrees.

CPU:28
Core1:38
Core2:41
Core3:39
Core4:38
February 2, 2011 1:30:41 PM

I have a feeling the current temp monitoring software may not really be reading the new sandybridges correctly...
!