Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Fingerprint on the CPU

Last response: in Overclocking
January 18, 2011 4:17:28 PM

Right it was late and I was going to go to bed and I thought my not put the CPU in now? so I did and I failed! 2 days later I went to look at the CPU and 2 fingerprints on the TOP (Where the Heatsink sits) and on the corner.

Now I'm going to clean it off but is this a good way:

Alcohol: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ISOPROPANOL-Isopropyl-Alcohol-9...

Need a cloth though, can't find a good one on Amazon.co.uk can anyone link me to a lint free cloth.

Thanks any advise on how I can do this...

More about : fingerprint cpu

a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 18, 2011 4:38:51 PM

What do you mean when you say you failed?

Anyway fingerprints aren't anything serious, you may get some oil on the CPU heat spreader but it won't do any damage, Although it may reduce thermal conductivity between the CPU heat spreader and the bottom of the heatsink.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH...

You could use that, its excellent for removing thermal paste.
a c 138 à CPUs
a c 241 K Overclocking
January 19, 2011 2:00:26 AM

for clothing use Absorber Synthetic Drying Chamois : www.amazon.com
Related resources
January 19, 2011 1:54:38 PM

Firstly, clothes leave lint so a clean finger is actually better to whip off your cpu than a cloth. All these fancy cleaners help remove old thermal grease but I always do a finish whip with my finger to make sure I pick up any debris.

Secondly, all the heatsink is doing is transferring heat from the cpu due to metal to metal contact. Thermal grease simply fills in the uneven surfaces to increase total surface contact so heat can transfer from the cpu to the heat sink more efficiently. Too much thermal grease pushes the heatsink farther away from the cpu and actually makes heat transfer worse, so be careful not to use too much.

P.S. you can actually not use any grease and it should run.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 3:51:04 PM

Coffee filters are lint free and work great. Thats what I use coffee filters and at least 90% Alcohol.
It is true that fingerprints wont hurt anything but it wont help anything(as stated above), the cleaner the surface the better the heat transfer. Dont touch the top of the CPU, and use about a cooked grain of rice amount of thermal paste. Dont spread it by hand, let the preassure of the heatsink installation spread the thermal paste.
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 4:06:15 PM

d1rtyju1c3 said:
Coffee filters are lint free and work great. Thats what I use coffee filters and at least 90% Alcohol.
It is true that fingerprints wont hurt anything but it wont help anything(as stated above), the cleaner the surface the better the heat transfer. Dont touch the top of the CPU, and use about a cooked grain of rice amount of thermal paste. Dont spread it by hand, let the preassure of the heatsink installation spread the thermal paste.

Thats not always the correct amount or the correct method for applying thermal paste, the best thing to do is look on the TIM manufacture's website for instructions on applying the paste, or with the included instructions, for example when I installed a waterblock on a HD5850 the instructions for the waterblock detailed how exactly to apply the thermal paste.
a c 123 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 4:40:06 PM

The coffee filter is a good idea. They are cheap and easy to find; a nearby office or neighbor with a coffeemaker will probably just give you one.
When I put on thermal paste, I usually put my finger in a plastic bag and spread the thinnest possible layer over the contact area on top of the CPU.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2011 3:35:16 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Thats not always the correct amount or the correct method for applying thermal paste, the best thing to do is look on the TIM manufacture's website for instructions on applying the paste, or with the included instructions, for example when I installed a waterblock on a HD5850 the instructions for the waterblock detailed how exactly to apply the thermal paste.

True but as long as it is enough to cover the cores ( it doesnt need to cover the whole cpu heat spreader) then you will be ok. The different methods wont net any better temps or any worse temps, I know I have tried them all with AS5, prolimatec pk1, and MX2. The cooked grain of rice method is the easiest. Unless you are using a direct heatpipe cooler the cooked grain of rice is what I recommend, but thats just me. :) 
August 11, 2013 9:21:20 PM

You can clean fingerprints on CPU by use of product called Innospray B600. It is also useful for cleaning waterproof surfaces like handrails, elevators, kitchens etc. It removes fingerprints quickly and effectively.
!