Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II or the motherboard?

Last response: in CPUs
July 24, 2009 3:58:08 AM

Recently I ordered a am3 gigabyte motherboard and a amd phenon II 920 processor while half :sleep:  asleep. Didn't realize that they

won't work together because the processor doesn't use ddr3 ram. Now I have a a ddr3 am3 mobo and a phenom II 920 AM2+

cpu in my possession. One of them has to go. I really want to keep the the gigabyte mobo. But newegg doesn't refund cpu's at

all. They only will send a replacement if it's damaged or not working. Where would i go to sell this processor? Or should i just stick

with the processor and send the mobo back and get a different mobo capable of am2+? :??: 

More about : phenom motherboard

July 24, 2009 4:10:19 AM

Newegg wont take it back? well you could try throwing a fit and see what happens, pretend to freak out at them. And if that doesnt work, find somewhere/someone who will buy your cpu. If you cant find anyone, then you will have to return your mobo for a new one. sorry man, accidents happen tho.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2009 4:12:22 AM

Well, it looks like you have answered your own question. There is no real reason for running DDR3, so if you can return the motherboard and memory, that is what I would do.
If you just have to have an AM3 platform though, you will have to bite the bullet and buy another processor. Perhaps you could unload the AM2+ on ebay later or something. And this time buy a black edition CPU, so the multiplier is unlocked!
I wish I had spent the extra few bucks and did that when I bought my PII920.

Did you explain the situation to Newegg fully? I can't believe they won't take it back, and they are going to get a lot of bad PR on this board if they don't.
They should have caught the problem and told you what you were doing wrong in the first place. I am not so sure why everyone rants and raves about how great they are if they won't fix this little problem.
Related resources
July 24, 2009 4:15:14 AM

jitpublisher said:
Well, it looks like you have answered your own question. There is no real reason for running DDR3, so if you can return the motherboard and memory, that is what I would do.
If you just have to have an AM3 platform though, you will have to bite the bullet and buy another processor. Perhaps you could unload the AM2+ on ebay later or something. And this time buy a black edition CPU, so the multiplier is unlocked!
I wish I had spent the extra few bucks and did that when I bought my PII920.

Yeah ebay may be my best friend here. I really want an AM3 platform at this point. I've got 8gigs of ddr3 ram all running at 1333mhz 2gb pieces. Wonder how much I should price the processor at or just do an instant buy ordeal. Which would you recommend? Have the auction or instant buy?

As far as newegg goes they are strict. I might go into flip out mode though. See what happens. I wish newegg had someone checking orders for simple mistakes like this. Otherwise I'll go with ebay.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2009 4:17:35 AM

josh7331 said:
Yeah ebay may be my best friend here. I really want an AM3 platform at this point. I've got 8gigs of ddr3 ram all running at 1333mhz 2gb pieces. Wonder how much I should price the processor at or just do an instant buy ordeal. Which would you recommend? Have the auction or instant buy?

Read my edit.
If you have to go ebay, I would list it for about $30 less than you paid. And explain that it is brand new, never used...instant buy.
July 24, 2009 4:18:30 AM

Auction with a minimum of like 90, i would hope you can get around 100 for a brand new 920...
July 24, 2009 4:29:54 AM

jitpublisher said:
Read my edit.
If you have to go ebay, I would list it for about $30 less than you paid. And explain that it is brand new, never used...instant buy.

I'll throw the processor on ebay for $120-130 dollars or so since all the others are $150+ I'll end up getting a Phenom II 810 in the end unless I can find $40 lying around then I might go with something else. Hmm... going to call newegg once more tomorrow to explain and complain some more. Don't see why they wouldn't take it back if it's not even opened...
July 24, 2009 4:34:09 AM

That is ridiculous of them, i trusted them to be a respnsible site. Good luck on ebay hope you get back what you payed! and usually if you yell at them or threaten to advertise to your friends how bad they are, the monkeys in their return department get scared and do what you want.
July 24, 2009 4:38:29 AM

JDV28 said:
That is ridiculous of them, i trusted them to be a respnsible site. Good luck on ebay hope you get back what you payed! and usually if you yell at them or threaten to advertise to your friends how bad they are, the monkeys in their return department get scared and do what you want.

"the monkeys in their return department get scared and do what you want."
Lol

Well then tomorrow when their phones are up I'll say something like I go to a ton of Lan parties and tell them this story. That will probably work. How long does it take newegg to refund to a debit card? Do you know by any chance? I read its 2 weeks but I find that insane. :heink: 

All I wanted to do was play crysis on all very high settings.... x
!