Building Dorm Question

Hi

How do i build a dorm, and have it show in the neighbourhood so that they
are available to move into instead of renting like the houses?

I built one, looked really good, saved it, and all that, and put it into my
custom neighbourhood, Pasadena Polytechnic, looks good too..

It's only available to rent.. darnn..
Am I going wrong somewhere?

Thanks in advance
Julia

Julia wrote:
> Hi
>
> How do i build a dorm, and have it show in the neighbourhood so that they
> are available to move into instead of renting like the houses?
>
> I built one, looked really good, saved it, and all that, and put it into my
> custom neighbourhood, Pasadena Polytechnic, looks good too..
>
> It's only available to rent.. darnn..
> Am I going wrong somewhere?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Julia

Enter your house/dorm-to-be
Cont/Alt/C changeLotZoning dorm (the command is case sensitive)
Save and exit

Your house is now a dorm.

Enjoy

eeek, before you do the change lot zoning bit, remember to put the following
items into your house:

Shineytyme Cooktop
Counter Islands
Dishwasher or sink in the same room as the cooker
Garbage can
Lights
Phone (at least one)
Sprinkler

This was a list I was given and I don't know if it's completely accurate
however, you DO need the Cooker and Counter Islands if you want the little
NPC cook to come and make food for your students. Put in several Counter
Islands because it's here the food gets put out for the students to pick
up - also put down at least 2 because it's two empty spots on the Counter
Islands that seems to prompt the NPC to make more food. The other stuff
kind of makes sense and probably gets included anyway when you build.

Best wishes
Maxon

> eeek, before you do the change lot zoning bit, remember to put the
> following
> items into your house:
>
> Shineytyme Cooktop
> Counter Islands
> Dishwasher or sink in the same room as the cooker
> Garbage can
> Lights
> Phone (at least one)
> Sprinkler
>
> This was a list I was given and I don't know if it's completely accurate
> however, you DO need the Cooker and Counter Islands if you want the little
> NPC cook to come and make food for your students. Put in several Counter

Hi

Thanks to all that replied..
I'm out tonight as its my Dads birthday, but
will be working on this soon, as I hate the standard dorms that come with
the game...

I might put screenshots in the binaries group, once its done

Julia

> Islands because it's here the food gets put out for the students to pick
> up - also put down at least 2 because it's two empty spots on the Counter
> Islands that seems to prompt the NPC to make more food. The other stuff
> kind of makes sense and probably gets included anyway when you build.
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>

> "Spandau" <fechterin@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Julia wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > How do i build a dorm, and have it show in the neighbourhood so that
> they
>> > are available to move into instead of renting like the houses?
>> >
>> > I built one, looked really good, saved it, and all that, and put it
>> > into
> my
>> > custom neighbourhood, Pasadena Polytechnic, looks good too..
>> >
>> > It's only available to rent.. darnn..
>> > Am I going wrong somewhere?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance
>> > Julia
>> >

>> Enter your house/dorm-to-be
>> Cont/Alt/C changeLotZoning dorm (the command is case sensitive)
>> Save and exit
>>
>> Your house is now a dorm.
>>
>> Enjoy

"Spandau" <fechterin@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> Julia wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> How do i build a dorm, and have it show in the neighbourhood so that they
>> are available to move into instead of renting like the houses?
>>
>> I built one, looked really good, saved it, and all that, and put it into
>> my custom neighbourhood, Pasadena Polytechnic, looks good too..
>>
>> It's only available to rent.. darnn..
>> Am I going wrong somewhere?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Julia
>>

> Enter your house/dorm-to-be
> Cont/Alt/C changeLotZoning dorm (the command is case sensitive)
> Save and exit
>
> Your house is now a dorm.
>
> Enjoy

Hi

I have tried that tonight, spent ages on it only to find that it will not
work..
I typed in the command as above, and it just comes up with error messages..

Still its available to rent, not move in as dorms

Thanks anyway
Julia

Hi Julia

Did you type it EXACTLY like that? Got the cheat box and typed
changeLotZoning dorm?

I ask because when I do it, I use all small letters and it works fine:

changelotzoning dorm

The cheat codes seem to vary with different users. For example, I can only
get the moveObjects on/off cheat to work if I type it like that, with a
capital O, but I've seen several people say they type it moveobjects or
move_objects (just like in Sims 1) or even just move objects. So, I'd
advise first of all fiddling round with the way you type the command.

If you get really, really stuck, we can arrange for you to send me the
packaged lot and I'll have a go at trying to rezone it for you (just make
sure it's a clean house when you package it - i.e. take out your Downloads
folder when you package it).

Best wishes
Maxon

> Hi Julia
>
> Did you type it EXACTLY like that? Got the cheat box and typed
> changeLotZoning dorm?
>
> I ask because when I do it, I use all small letters and it works fine:
>
> changelotzoning dorm
>
> The cheat codes seem to vary with different users. For example, I can
> only
> get the moveObjects on/off cheat to work if I type it like that, with a
> capital O, but I've seen several people say they type it moveobjects or
> move_objects (just like in Sims 1) or even just move objects. So, I'd
> advise first of all fiddling round with the way you type the command.
>
> If you get really, really stuck, we can arrange for you to send me the
> packaged lot and I'll have a go at trying to rezone it for you (just make
> sure it's a clean house when you package it - i.e. take out your Downloads
> folder when you package it).
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>
> "Julia" <julia@suzanne65.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

>> > Cont/Alt/C changeLotZoning dorm (the command is case sensitive)
>> > Save and exit
>> >
>> > Your house is now a dorm.
>> >
>> > Enjoy
>> >
>> Hi
>>
>> I have tried that tonight, spent ages on it only to find that it will not
>> work..
>> I typed in the command as above, and it just comes up with error
> messages..
>>
>> Still its available to rent, not move in as dorms
>>
>> Thanks anyway
>> Julia
>>

> Hi
Many thanks, I typed it all in small letters and it worked first time..
Got 4 students living in it now..

:)
Julia

Ah good - now I'm feeling a nice warm smug glow!