Strange Behavior at boot up

My PC boots but the screen has only the XP default wallpaper. The Processes
part of Task Manager show a file called ppi.exe running at 99% of processor
cycles. Any ideas?

TIA, David

Why don't you see if ppi.exe shows up on the Startup tab
in MSCONFIG. If so, uncheck it, hit Apply, then OK, then
re-boot as directed (commanded) by Windows.

Look here for help with MSCONFIG:
http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

Good Luck !