Need help with my homebuilt system

shura4ever

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
OK ladies and gentleman, I have build my computer system, its my first one
I have a major problem with playing games
My computer totaly crashes while in game with black screen and looping sound. sometimes with just still image but rearly
Games that do that:
AirRivals: sli or not
Requiem: SLI or not, but more often with SLI
Dead Space: window mode or not

Games that dont
Call Of Duty 4 (200+ hours) it game me *** couple of times, that all, froze couple of times, thats all
Unreal tournament 3(well didnt play it for more than 3 hours)

i have tired to do:
switching video cards between the 2
Scanning RAM with Memtest (my memory is technicly not on the approved list but correct Mhz)
Using 667 RAM

I am using latest Drivers

SPECS:
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
System Manufacturer NVIDIA
System Model 132-CK-NF78
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD P08, 9/9/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Russia
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name SHURIK\Shura
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.55 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

VIDEO : leadtek 9600GT EXTREME SLI factory oc
RAM Mushkin PC2-6400 (part #996603) no oc
CPU core 2 duo e8400 no oc
Mainboard: EVGA 780i Bios P08
Temperature seems good, 40-50 for cpu, 50-60 for motherboard

Please help, i am so tired of trying to resolve the issue. I feel like beating this thing with the baseball bat, just feel bad about spending about 1500$ or so

Also EVENT logger in admin tools never captures the problem so i cant look what is going on

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah, it is a good PSU. Dont know what else to suggest - maybe stress test it with prime95 and watch the temperatures. Although rather unlikely, it is possible that your hsf isnt seated properly, causing the cpu to overheat . On my system COD4 taxed the cpu way less than Crysis for example. "40-50" - are those temperatures with cpu idle or under load? Also the mobo temperatures seem a bit high to me but I never dealt with nVidia based mobo, maybe thats normal.

Have you tried previous versions of gfx drivers? My radeon 4850 seems to take a performance hit in Crysis with latest driver release, so im using the previous version instead. They dont always improve things for everyone.

So, apart from that in-game crashing issue the PC works fine? And does it crash immediately after starting the game or after a while? Can you play at all?

shura4ever

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Its been ages, my apology. I am now running win 7 64bit, in raid 0 and the game that never done this before, ever, World of warcraft, craps out on me. I will try to get video card from my friend today, ati 3850 and see if it does it as well.

So, apart from that in-game crashing issue the PC works fine?

yes

And does it crash immediately after starting the game or after a while? Can you play at all?

it takes an hour or so

shura4ever

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
i borrowed 3850 from my friend. and installed it with latest drivers.
I was unable to replicate the error, i played wow just fine for about 3hours straight
i also have downloaded a game(airrivals) that ALWAYS crashed within 5 minutes. but even in this game i wasnt able to replicate the error. i will try to switch back and see what happens

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Hi there, sorry but have been away for a while myself. While you have your both cards out inspect the HSFs if they sit properly, maybe one of them is not and causes the crashes after some time(due to overheating).