Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking q6600 with asus p5k-e

Last response: in Overclocking
January 18, 2011 6:13:35 PM

I know my cpu is older. I just upgraded my video card to a sapphire raedon hd 5870 eyefinity 6 edition. I have 4 gb of ocz ram. I am using a antec nine hundred case. I was hoping to get better eyefinity fps buy doining some over clocking. I am awaiting my cpu cooler will be here tomorrow. ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink. I am running win 7 64 bit.
I upped my fsb to 310 and my multiplier to 9 . I put the voltage at 1.325. I ran prime for 48 mins and temps stayed under 60 c. in core temp. first. the voltage in the cpu-z does not match what I put it at. it does in the core temp program but the cpu-z shows it at 1.2804 I believe thats right. I am at work doing this off memory so if that looks like too many decimal places forgive me. Why is the voltage not what I set it at? Is that a bios option I do not have enabled? Also where is a good resource to explain all the choices of option in the bios? where is a good resource to help guide me through this journey . I would welcome any and all input or guidance on overclocking this set up?
January 18, 2011 6:32:03 PM

Ya CPUZ is reading the actual realtime voltage at the processor. When you up the voltage on the MOBO and then put a load on the processor there's a loss. That's why you have to up the voltage when you increase the bandwidth you're putting a heavier load on it.
m
l
January 18, 2011 6:35:36 PM

I also want to appologize for posting this before i found a guide on tom's for overclocking this processor. anyway any help, comments, suggestions is greatly appreciated. thanks
m
l
!