demonik

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
i just got a new sager computer with an i7 and a nVidia geforce 280m. i have a lot of programs that take up like maybe 1 or 2 percent of my processor usage... its frustrating i want to see this thing rip!!! it just puddles along... I've read all over that you can change the priority of a process on task manager or assign a program to 1 core but it still isnt using that much at all... Is there any way to make vista use a heck of a lot more of my CPU and make it rip, like a significant difference?

demonik

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
woah yeah sorry about that lets try this again lol... im using power defragmentation (contig) <------- takes hours AML free registry cleaner <--------takes a long time avast! free home virus scan stuff <--------takes like 4 hours,
games = very nice perfectly happy Everquest 2 extreme graphics = very yes
its more the scan and process stuff that drags on
intel i7 975 extreme, ram 6 gig 1333, nvidia geforce 280m

does that make more sense

good point on the internet speed btw going to by an n router later

demonik

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
i game alot and some of my techy friends said it would be a good processor for it
is it not good?
what ever it does it works well and will last me a few years

4745454b

Titan
Seeing as the tasks you listed all depend on the harddrive, I'm guessing thats your problem. The i7 can scan for virus quicky, but if you have to use a slow laptop harddrive, its going to slow down. The CPU is working fine as the games are great. You just have a slow hdd.