Virucyde

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
With the information provided, I can only offer a few possible issues:

1. The drive cannot read the disc type, IE, you're putting a DVD in a CD-ROM drive, or the drive comes from the DVD-R and DVD+R fighting era, and you're putting a type in it cannot read.

2. The disc can't be read, try putting it in another computer to ensure it's actually a readable disc, and the problem is in fact drive specific.

3. The drive is simply broken, depending on how old it is, it's not unlikely that there is just a physical issue with the drive, they're cheap, so replacing one isn't a huge deal.

Hope one of those helps!

yachtpilot

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I have tried same but no luck. BTW, I have written on both CD and DVD with succes just a few months ago. I will buy a new writer. hanks for your help. This is a wonderful community.

yachtpilot

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

THIS SITE is great. Thank you for the replies you so promptly sent. No luck yet. My drive will play Cd's AND DVD's all day long and when I put a rewritable in another computer...VIOLA. NOW. I put a NEW drive in my Toshiba and IT won't write!! Everything BUT write. For now I am writing to a 4g stick and transferring to CD on another computer. It is music wit audiostrobe and the files are large.

Thanks again all.

R