What is the best mainboard for a core2quad or core2 extreme

ss4sgoku

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
hi i know this question is a lil bit off time but i just wanted to know what is or was the best (stable and full working) mainboard for a core2 extreme like the qx9770 with a ddr2

There is no "best" motherboard. Choose one with the memory support and features you want. I use a lowly g31 board cause it's cheap (almost free with a fry's combo) and it would work fine with your cpu. But for overclocking, asus, msi, or gigabyte in a p45 would work fine.

ss4sgoku

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
yes i know that there is no a best but some mainboards are better thatn others working etc an example i have an old system p4c800 e deluxe with a pentium 4 extreme edition and for me and other people this one was the best mainboard for the pentiums 4 i just want to know what mainboard was the best for an core 2 extreme actualy i have a gigabyte but i like to know what the people think was better or best

It's not just brand. It's brand and model. All of the major motherboard makers produce highly overclockable motherboards and "vanilla" boards that are poor overclockers.

I happen to prefer Gigabyte. Any of the P45's - UD3L, UD3R, and UD3P - will work nicely.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ +1

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

I agree with those above. I had the P4C with a P4 3.2 and it was a great board, pretty much the board the Asus built their reputation on. There really aren't any boards that are as dominant as that but the thing that made it so good was the Intel i875 chipset (the P4P with the i865 was very good as well). For the socket 775 the best chipsets are the P45 and X48 but there are plenty of good P35 and X38 boards as well. Stay away from Nvidia chipsets for the socket 775, for the most part, they are nothing but problems.

hypocrisyforever

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
I'm an Asus fan....I've used them for years, never had a DOA board.....I've had a few "issues" that were always patched w/ a fresh bios. So yeah, no "best" but a matter of preference. I will say this, do not play it stingy on the mobo, skimp everywhere else, but not the mobo.....it is the heart of the system, and has more systems on it that can fail than like..... anything ;-).