Question about my memory~~~

runegate

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
yup, I got OCZ 2GB x 3 1600MHZ memory day ago.

my motherboard is ASUS P7P55D PRO.

And my system only shows 1066 MHZ .

It is normal ?

a glitch ?

or I really get the wrong thing from Newegg?

:eek: :eek: thanks

Solution
The RAM will technically work in your motherboard, but will run in single channel mode. Your RAM is rated at DDR3 1600 with 8-8-8-24 timings at 1.65v. That's the specs you should manually set the RAM to in the BIOS.
You ordered the wrong RAM for a P55 chipset motherboard. The LGA 1156 chips use a dual-channel RAM controller, so you want RAM in even numbers. A 2x2GB setup is best. That's not what's causing your RAM "problem", though. All motherboards run the RAM underclocked if it's rated at more than the DDR3 standard 1.5v. You'll need to go into the BIOS and manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the recommended specs. Which exact RAM kit did you get?

4745454b

Titan
why is that a wrong ram for my motherb?

What did he write that was so hard to understand?

The LGA 1156 chips use a dual-channel RAM controller, so you want RAM in even numbers.

Does that help?

you mean it won't work properly?

It will work properly, just at a slightly slower speed, which has nothing to do with your "problem" I would be willing to bet that the "problem" is your system is running your ram sync'd with the QPI (or whatever its called, I haven't learned i7 yet.). If you don't understand dual vs tri memory, find someone to enter your bios to change the settings for you.

runegate

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009

:bounce: this is helpful, thanks ~~~!!

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Runegate,

Your motherboard has a pair of memory controllers which allow it to control two sets of memory at one time. This makes the memory run far better than almost anything else you can do. This is "dual Channel"

But it requires you to have matched pairs and amounts of memory in each "channel". That means, you want 2 of anything - and they need to be the same. So 2 of the 2GB modules is good. Or 4 of them.

But 3 of them makes the dual Channel stop working. (usually) This means that your computer will run more slowly. Will it run more slowly than one with 4GBs of RAM - likely yes unless you're doing very RAM-intensive work that can benefit from 6 GBs of RAM.

Here's what I suggest. Either return the set of 3 you now have and get 1 or 2 sets of 2 - for 4GBs or 8GBs or RAM. Or buy an identical stick of the very same RAM you have now.

Your RAM running at 1066 will have very little bad effects on your system speed compared to it running in Single Channel mode. Have you fixed that problem yet?

Oh and of course, you need a 64-bit Operating system to make use of more than 4GBs of RAM anyway.