Vista Home 64 - can change components afterwards?

cappaj1

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
I remember reading that with XP once it was installed on a pc and registered with Microsoft, you couldn't change the hardware on the pc later.

I want to build an i7 pc and don't plan on gaming with it and want to keep the cost down as much as possible on the video card, then upgrade it later when I have the money. Will Microsoft allow me to do this?

Also, I want to drive two 23" monitors off a single video card and plan on using a HIS 4670 512mb with two DVI outs. Is this a decent card to drive two monitors set at 2048 x 1152?

Thanks in advance!

ericmlaing

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I don't see what this post has to do with Vista seeing as your first sentance you mention XP.
They install on the motherboard in the computer. You can change ANYTHING else (well, not the boot drive as that would be a clean install) you want. Just not the MB.
Got a computer off a friend, wanted to use my 'old' HD in it, nope. Not happening.

Yes, you can upgrade your video card, ram, harddrives, anything...

I can understand wanting 2x23" monitors, but at 2048x1152? Geez... my 24" Samsung is 1920x1200 native... why go beyond a native resolution?

I run (for now) an HD4830 (2 dvi) and it works. Happy with it. Nothing fancy. Great for it I watch a movie (HDCP complient monitor/card) etc etc...

??? What are you going to be doing with your I7 dual 23" XP machine? Must be some rendering stuff or whatever as you said you don't play games... little more info please.

cappaj1

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009

Yes, I mentioned XP only because I thought I had read a Microsoft policy of not being able to change hardware after initial installation, and wondered it this also applied to Vista Home 64, which I am planning on using.

The monitors I'm looking at for the price are 2048 x 1152. They are wider format than the usual wide monitors and I hope there isn't a disadvantage, such as when I go to play a Blue ray movie. Also, I'm hoping a 4830 can display one virtual desktop across both monitors and I'm thinking the card would have to output 4096 x 2304, or am I wrong about that?

As you can see, I'm confused. I will be using this system to do HD video editing, shooting with a miniDV camcorder that records HDV clips, and plan on using editing software Adobe Premier Elements to start. I might play an occasional game on it, but the only one I can think of I'd be interested in is Call of Duty off hand.

Duque

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Are you referring to using the software for system builders and not being able to change your motherboard afterwards?

cappaj1

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009

I'm referring to 'changing hardware under Win XP' dialog I've seen in the past. A quick google search brought up the following:

"That's highly questionable. He's replacing the motherboard. Does
that make it a new machine? This is a gray area in the EULA, and
as far as I know, Microsoft has never clarified how much you have
to change before it's considered a new machine."

So if that is true, I was just wondering if this is also an issue with Vista Home 64? Does it have to be activated with Microsoft, and if I change the video card, would that require re-activation?

I've never had a problem moving an XP or Vista license from one machine to another. I've certainly never had a problem when i've upgraded parts. Vista will have to be activated by MS. If you change the motherboard you will have to activate it again. If you move it to another system you will have to call in for activation.

Although 1 time it made me call in for activation when I went from my 7800gt to my 8800gt. I suspect it was due to direct X 10.

cappaj1

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009

Are you referring to OEM versions? From what I've read, although you may have not had a problem, Microsoft's wpa policy is that if you change any of ten hardware items, and display adapter is one of them, reactivation via a required call into Microsoft may be required if the total number generated by the combination of all ten items changes enough.