Graphics card future upgrade question

PanSola

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Hi all,

I plan to get a GTX 275 (or 285, if I can find a superb $250 deal) now. Then when the card becomes around $50 or so on the market, get one or two more to SLI for "upgrade" my computer's rendering power.

Does this sound like a good plan? Or by the time the current card drops to $50 the graphic standards would likely be so far ahead that even 3-Way SLI of $50 cards won't be enough?

I don't play FPS. Games I play are like Oblivion, Mass Effect, Guild Wars (and Guild Wars 2 in the future), Sims 2 (and Sims 3 in the future), Star Craft 3.

I don't need graphics at max settings. I don't mind turning off shadow/reflection/glowing effects to improve performance, but I do like to have max texture detail.

^+1 they would certainly stop its production before that...
And as you doubt, even if by chance it drops to $50, you have very well given the answer yourself...
"the graphic standards would likely be so far ahead that even 3-Way SLI of $50 cards won't be enough"
Take 2day's situtation...
Remember the 7950X2 from Nvidia priced at $499.99 launched on 2H 2006?? 2 of them in SLI now cant beat a 4850/ GTS 250...and its been nearly 3 years...

PanSola

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Well I'd be looking for 2nd hand deals on ebay...

and I don't need them to *beat* the latest cards. I just need them to play future games at non-max settings (highest texture details, but can turn off fancy shadow/reflection/light effects etc)