Sign in with
Your question

Core 2 Quad - Defying physics?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 20, 2011 2:56:48 AM

Hello everybody!
Before I build my new SB system (seen here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303098-31-build-blue-... ) I would just like to report my weird Core2quad 9400's idle and load temps. I've currently got a 9400 @ stock with the stock intel-boxed heatsink. I've just noticed that I'm getting insane (what I think) temps... Quick prologue; I'm Australian and live in humid Australian weather (25-30 degrees C) and I have a case with 1 exhaust and some intake venting THATS IT... In my apartment temps go down to 23 degrees when the air-con is on (note: air-con is OFF for this test)

I am getting temps of: 21, 16, 19, 17 for idle. :ouch: 
I am getting temps of: 59, 57, 56, 57 for load.

The load temps seem low in comparison to the others I've seen others getting but HEY - wait a minute? Aren't temps meant to be a few degrees above ambient ON LIQUID?
Jesus chriiist; whats going on?????? :heink: 
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 3:27:36 AM

What program are you using? Its probably reading the probe wrong.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 3:30:15 AM

I don't know...I'm pretty sure those temps are actually fine...maybe just a bit more than what I expect on load...I would say that you have perfectly normal temps if they were more like 50 - 54 on load...but taking into consideration that you are running on a stock cooler and live in Australia, I'm not afraid to say that those temps are pretty normal...even with water cooling you would get over ambient temps on load....it's just that you can't get any lower than ambient on water...that's how it is...

PS: And you don't really sound Australian in text lol...although I kept imagining your Australian accent tho whole time I was reading your post...
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2011 3:59:48 AM

videl said:
I don't know...I'm pretty sure those temps are actually fine...maybe just a bit more than what I expect on load...I would say that you have perfectly normal temps if they were more like 50 - 54 on load...but taking into consideration that you are running on a stock cooler and live in Australia, I'm not afraid to say that those temps are pretty normal...even with water cooling you would get over ambient temps on load....it's just that you can't get any lower than ambient on water...that's how it is...

PS: And so don't really sound Australian in text lol...although I kept imagining your Australian accent tho whole time I was reading your post...

But, heres the thing; Ambient = 24 DEG C, My idle temp = 15 DEG C.... Heres some pictures for confirmation: http://img832.imageshack.us/i/low9400.png/

PS: Your first PS sentence had no sentence structure and I couldn't for the life of me understand it.
PPS: Australia and the rest of the world gets a shiver up their spine when they hear American 'redneck' accents so don't get started. :lol: 
m
l
January 20, 2011 4:05:26 AM

PS: Idle temps are not "idle", things like steam, web browser ect are open.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 4:21:00 AM

intel1502 said:
But, heres the thing; Ambient = 24 DEG C, My idle temp = 15 DEG C.... Heres some pictures for confirmation: http://img832.imageshack.us/i/low9400.png/

PS: Your first PS sentence had no sentence structure and I couldn't for the life of me understand it.
PPS: Australia and the rest of the world gets a shiver up their spine when they hear American 'redneck' accents so don't get started. :lol: 

Yeah that is a bit weird...looks like one of your cores is idle at 15...which could mean theres no load on it at all so it doesn't heat up to ambient temps and/or could be the temp sensors (probe) try a different program like core temp to see if it says the same...

PS: I apologize about my ps sentence not making sense...I have no idea why I typed so instead of you...lol...been typing all day so maybe that's why...I fixed it though ;) 

PPS: Haha, yeah I'm definitely not a redneck...I'm actually Russian and moved to US 10-11 years back...and have a standard American accent...and a Russian one when I want/need to...lol...And don't get me wrong I actually love Australian and British accents...they are both, in my opinion, much more beautiful sounding than the standard American...and that's not to mention redneck or Texan... (no offense to any of you rednecks or Texans...it's just an opinion) lol
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 4:42:36 AM

Speaking of not making sense, you said you are running the stock cooler:
intel1502 said:

The load temps seem low in comparison to the others I've seen others getting but HEY - wait a minute? Aren't temps meant to be a few degrees above ambient ON LIQUID?

And air.

You want true idle temps? Go into the BIOS in the PC Health section and check your temps there. If those are below ambient, you have faulty temperature sensors. Otherwise, it looks as if your temperature monitoring utility is reading the sensors wrong.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 4:45:33 AM

^+1 That's what I thought...except didn't come up with the brilliant idea of going into the bios as my friend here did...lol...
m
l
January 20, 2011 5:55:39 AM

jsc said:
Speaking of not making sense, you said you are running the stock cooler:

And air.

You want true idle temps? Go into the BIOS in the PC Health section and check your temps there. If those are below ambient, you have faulty temperature sensors. Otherwise, it looks as if your temperature monitoring utility is reading the sensors wrong.

I simply said that because liquid > most high end air
m
l
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 6:14:52 AM

It's impossible to get lower than ambient temps if your cooling with air (or even watercooling). Think about it...How can your CPU be colder than the air around it.
Its most likely the sensors on your CPU are faulty or the temp monitoring program your using isn't reading the temps correctly.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 8:58:46 AM

^+1
m
l
January 20, 2011 12:50:57 PM

Best answer selected by intel1502.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 3:51:22 PM

^pretty much exactly what we were all saying...
but did you figure out exactly what was going on? was it the programs?
m
l
January 21, 2011 4:49:29 PM

I'd never rule out CPUs violating the laws of physics!
Once upon a time I used to have an old AMD k7 1GHz CPU that died. Those used to run pretty hot (look up on YouTube the old Tom's Hardware video of a K7 going off in flames). I never got anything below 70 degrees (Celsius) on idle.

So, I got a spare CPU, k7 at 900MHz, which had accidentally been dropped and had a bit of the core missing. That CPU still works. I kept it for years and it never went over 45-50 degrees on full load. Never had a problem with it.

If that is not an X file tell me what is! ;) 

But yes, I agree it must be your sensor gone bananas.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2011 2:03:53 AM

Hahaha...yeah that's interesting...would love too see that...what exactly chipped off?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2011 12:22:18 PM

intel1502 said:
Realtemp 3.60 ... What probe? its just CPU fan + CPU... http://img832.imageshack.us/i/low9400.png/

Here's what I don't get,
TJMax for the Q9400 is 100c, from the photo yours is set kind of low, ranging from 75-78c.
Go into RT's settings tab and set TJMax to 100 for all cores, don't be mad at me when you see your actual temps.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2011 1:24:31 PM

I thought there was an offset for the 8xxx and 9xxx series. But I don't know enough about it to mention....
m
l
January 26, 2011 10:29:57 AM

videl said:
Hahaha...yeah that's interesting...would love too see that...what exactly chipped off?

Those chips had some sort of ceramic covering (probably to improve the heat transfer). One of the edges was completely missing, and the adjacent surface was crumbly, but I guess it didn't reach anything critical (or I never executed the one instruction that made everything explode...).
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2011 6:30:43 AM

haha well that might have had nothing on the die...in that area...and/or your are right about the heat transfer material...
m
l
January 27, 2011 6:41:37 AM

I feel tempted to start a grandma-style rant on the good olden times when you could drop CPUs off a skyscraper and they would work better than before, and fix your hard drives with a hammer, while now a little extra voltage will kill these pansy new components :D 
m
l
!