Oct 8, 2009
First thing's first: hi. :D

Specs:
Asus P5N-E SLI mobo
Intel Q6600 Quad Core Processor
2X1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 RAM
Nvidia 8800GT (EVGA)
630W PSU
570 GB HDD (2X Western Digital, 250, 320)

So.... somehow on of my sticks of RAM fell out onto my graphics card, I have no idea how. It's been there for at least 3 days, and I've been playing intensive games like Left 4 Dead and TF2. I noticed slowdown in the games, but mostly let it pass. Today I finally realized that the RAM was on the GPU.

I put the little S.O.B back in, and the computer won't boot. I noticed that when I do put it in, it gets incredibly hot. The computer boots fine without the (supposed) defective stick.

So is it fried and useless? I just checked the warranty, and I will be able to send it in, but I want to make sure there are no other possible underlying problems before I do so.

Thanks!

Solution
I'd send it in - without explaining what happened. This is not a defective stick but a damaged one - warranty doesn't cover that. Don't be too surprised if they figure it out and choose not to replace it.

But I doubt they'll do so, likely rack it up to good customer relations.

BTW, if laying on the GPU damaged the memory module, it was due to a short. Since the RAM wasn't receiving power from its natural source, it's not the RAM that was shorted, but the GPU, and any damage to the memory was incidental. So the GPU was shorted out by the RAM - the RAM acting the part of a screwdriver left laying on the GPU. So don't be surprised if the GPU is damaged.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I'd send it in - without explaining what happened. This is not a defective stick but a damaged one - warranty doesn't cover that. Don't be too surprised if they figure it out and choose not to replace it.

But I doubt they'll do so, likely rack it up to good customer relations.

BTW, if laying on the GPU damaged the memory module, it was due to a short. Since the RAM wasn't receiving power from its natural source, it's not the RAM that was shorted, but the GPU, and any damage to the memory was incidental. So the GPU was shorted out by the RAM - the RAM acting the part of a screwdriver left laying on the GPU. So don't be surprised if the GPU is damaged.

Solution

tehsn1p3r

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

I see what you're saying, but the GPU has been playing several games on full settings with no problems over these past few days.

I'm planning on upgrading this year anyway. :p

I'll likely be sending them both in, since apparently pairs need to go in together. Of course I don't have any other sticks of DDR2 lying around as temps.... :??:

tehsn1p3r

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I'd hate to double post, but I just remembered that I also applied a chipset diver update from the Asus website yesterday. It completed fine. Could that be a part of the problem?

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
The pairs go in together because they don't fix RAM, they replace it. And they'd need to replace both to give you back a matched pair.

A chipset driver change will not cause the system to fail to boot. The driver affects Windows, not the BIOS or hardware involved in the POST. If you had changed your BIOS or altered the firmware/CMOS on the video card, then it could certainly cause a problem.

Test the RAM by installing only one or the other of them. Keep track of which one you fried by putting a small mark or the corner of a label on it. If one allows the system to boot and the other doesn't, installed alone, then you know the problem.

tehsn1p3r

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

That's precisely what I did. Sending them out tomorrow. Here's hoping for a quick turnaround time.