Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dual cable internet cable connector

Last response: in Toms Network
January 13, 2012 5:38:14 AM

I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop that I use for different applications. I have an internet cable connected to my desktop but I have to disconnect that and plug it into my laptop when I want to go on the internet with my laptop. Isn't there some sort of connecting device or splitter with at least two openings for internet cable connetions?
January 13, 2012 2:25:01 PM

It's called a network switch or hub. You can not split an Ethernet cable to attach to 2 devices.

Just curious, where is your "internet cable" connected on the other end? Is it plugged directly into a cable modem? If so I would recommend getting a router to add a level of protection to your network. More details will help.
January 20, 2012 1:30:24 AM

Thank you for your response. My internet connection comes from a cable that's plugged into a router. I found a small inexpensive device on Amazon. com that says it will work to give you two computer connections from one cable. Just can't use both computers at the same time. That should work as I will only be using one at a time.