Sign in with
Your question

Can Someone Please Save My Day!?? 8(

Last response: in Overclocking
January 20, 2011 4:19:12 AM

Im So close to getting my GPU up and running, BUT Im installing an arctic cooling accelero xtreme. But now I can not connect the cooler onto my GPU card because My Heatsink that I installed on my GPU RAM is hitting the bracket on the cooler, so the screw holes cant align up. I applied the heat sink with Thermal adhesive Glue that it came with. And so in other words, the heatsinks are to close to the gpu chip, and need to be father towards the edge of the card. So is it okay to pull it off and re apply pushing them farther back, or will that damage the RAM? What should I do?

IMAGE: http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7282/rimg0076.png

Thanks

More about : save day

a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 4:30:27 AM

I don't know...but I would think that it's fine...
what kind of adhesive glue it it? if it was just a thermal tape that would stick then that's an easy answer: yes...But if it's glue then that's a different story...I think you should be able to take it off if it came with the heatsinks...just make sure you don't just pull up...but twist it and carefully pull up so as not to break the chips off...and you should be fine...try seeing if one of them will budge any if you try that...

I really wish you good luck here ;) 
m
l
January 20, 2011 3:33:55 PM

Hi, like videl said if it's the thermal double sided sticky tape you should be able to remove the heatsinks and re apply them. If you used something like Arctic Silver's two part themal epoxy don't try to remove them because the memory chips will not let go and come off the video card. In that case can you cut some of the fins with tin snips to give you enough clearance? Grinding or sawing is not recomended cause you'll get a million shavings that can cause a short. If that doesn't work you may have to find a different vga cooler to keep the card operational or resellable.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 3:36:56 PM

^+1 lol he completed my answer...lol ;) 
m
l
January 20, 2011 3:51:06 PM

I had read that freezing could help. I tried it twice on southbridge heatsinks. First motherboard was successful next one wasn't. So I don't recommend it. And trying to find a ziplock bag to fit a motherboard was close to impossible. You don't want moisture condensing on the motherboard after you pull it out of the freezer. I recommend you get the video card running first. If you're not happy with it sell it and start over.
m
l
January 20, 2011 3:52:35 PM

taso11 said:
Hi, like videl said if it's the thermal double sided sticky tape you should be able to remove the heatsinks and re apply them. If you used something like Arctic Silver's two part themal epoxy don't try to remove them because the memory chips will not let go and come off the video card. In that case can you cut some of the fins with tin snips to give you enough clearance? Grinding or sawing is not recomended cause you'll get a million shavings that can cause a short. If that doesn't work you may have to find a different vga cooler to keep the card operational or resellable.

Hi Videl and Taso11, okay i got them all off easy just twisted, came right off, so reassembled them all and its all good now, so before can hook this up to my desktop, where do i connect the power cord? Where on the motherboard because the slot on the card I can not reach, the cooler blocks it: http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/503/rimg0098x.jpg
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 4:00:23 PM

Well I really would not recoomend hooking it up to the motherbaord as you wouldn't have the correct fan control and the mobo could out put more voltage...after all if the fan came with the cooler it should be designed to somehow fit into the gpu...idk...but if you absolutely had to connect it to the northbridge fan connector (that's the connecter in in the top of your picture)...it would output less voltage...annd if it's not enough voltage try the system fan connector at the bottom of the pic...
m
l
January 20, 2011 4:01:43 PM

I'm a little confused. If you are talking about the power connector on the video card, you should have a connector straight from your power supply. The first video card should use the topmost 16x pcie slot.

EDIT: I would connect the new heatsink fan directly to the power supply. The fan may exceed the motherboard fan header amperage and burn out that fan header or worse.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 4:06:37 PM

^ correct...
I thought you were talking about the fan connector from your graphics cooler...
but if you are talking about the graphics power then you have to connect from the powersupply and the cooler should also be designed to allow you acess to the connection...
m
l
January 20, 2011 4:10:24 PM

Videl and I are on the same wavelength! :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 4:11:31 PM

Hahaha...you reminded of the show Fringe...love that show... lol ;) 
m
l
January 20, 2011 4:11:51 PM

videl said:
^ correct...
I thought you were talking about the fan connector from your graphics cooler...
but if you are talking about the graphics power then you have to connect from the powersupply and the cooler should also be designed to allow you acess to the connection...

Wait! Now im confused? I was talking about the VGA cooler, not the GPU itsself, but the cooler, So your saying the coolers power cord should not be connected to the motherboard, only the GPU slot its self on the gpu?

heres an image: http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3836/rimg0099s.jpg

thanks
m
l
January 20, 2011 4:12:47 PM

videl said:

Fringe is the BEST show ever! But now they moved it to fridays, which i guess is okay, bit i wish they would stop taking so many season breaks!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 4:15:44 PM

so you were talking about the fan...yeah, it's better not to hook it up to the mobo...it needs to hook up onto the connection on the gpus pcb somewhere...and it might have been easier to hook it up before attaching the cooler with the screws...or you could hook it up to the psu...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 4:17:58 PM

yutubemedia said:
Fringe is the BEST show ever! But now they moved it to fridays, which i guess is okay, bit i wish they would stop taking so many season breaks!

My thought exactly...lol but I can't wait till they make some more episodes...it just got so good in the 3rd season...keeps me wondering what's gonna happen next...lol :p 
m
l
January 20, 2011 4:23:20 PM

I would connect the fan to the video card if it was the same amperage or less. If it's more amps connect it to the power supply. If it pulls to much power it will cause damage. Power supply is safest bet but you'll lose control and maybe the video card may complain that no fan is connected.

I love Fringe! I got into it a year ago. I bought seasons 1 and 2 on blu-ray on a friend's recommendation and watched 4 or 5 episodes at a time. It was great! Now every time there's a game Fringe gets pushed back. I hated waiting 7 days, now it's been over a month right?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 4:27:37 PM

If you hook it up to the psu you need a small converter most likely...but you should have gotten one with something...

And yeah it's been a while with fringe...I had a few episodes of season three in hd...and it's legit...just can't wait fore more to come out...lol
m
l
January 20, 2011 4:28:20 PM

taso11 said:
I would connect the fan to the video card if it was the same amperage or less. If it's more amps connect it to the power supply. If it pulls to much power it will cause damage. Power supply is safest bet but you'll lose control and maybe the video card may complain that no fan is connected.

I love Fringe! I got into it a year ago. I bought bothe seasons on blu-ray and watched 4 or 5 episodes at a time. It was great! Now every time there's a game Fringe gets pushed back. I hated waiting 7 days, now it's been over a month right?

oh okay, well i guess i will have to take the card off and connect it, id rather not connect it to the PSU because then theres no speed control, like with it connect to the GPU it can control the speed as needed, i think. so yeah.

And by the way, i dont know, its been off the air for a while, no new episode this week iether: http://reruncheck.com/show/fringe?originalquery=fringe
m
l
January 20, 2011 4:30:10 PM

videl said:
If you hook it up to the psu you need a small converter most likely...but you should have gotten one with something...

And yeah it's been a while with fringe...I had a few episodes of season three in hd...and it's legit...just can't wait fore more to come out...lol

yes it came with this cord adapter you see in the picture, but like that would not control the speed iether though, just one speed right: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/arctic_cooling_...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 4:32:03 PM

Alright that should work fine...

And I don't even know what's going on with them...lol...hope they're not cancelling the show or anything...gonna keep an eye out...
m
l
January 20, 2011 4:33:49 PM

That adapter looks like it would give you two constant speeds. 12 volts or 7 volts.

I thought there was and episode tomorrow. @#$%^
m
l
January 20, 2011 4:36:00 PM

Just checked FOX website. It shows there's one on tomorrow!!! :D 
m
l
January 20, 2011 4:38:46 PM

taso11 said:
Just checked FOX website. It shows there's one on tomorrow!!! :D 

oh your right, nevermind that Reruncheck website, awesome!!!
m
l
January 20, 2011 4:40:45 PM

you whats crazy is olivia Dunham the actor is actually british and has a british accent, she covers it up just like HOUSE does
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 5:36:44 PM

Oh so you hooked it up to the gpu...should be alright now...

Really!?!? never knew that! wow, I love House as well...and I was allways amazed at how he covered it up...wow! lol...I'm so happy theres an episode tommorow...lol...excited...
m
l
January 20, 2011 6:30:20 PM

videl said:
Oh so you hooked it up to the gpu...should be alright now...

Really!?!? never knew that! wow, I love House as well...and I was allways amazed at how he covered it up...wow! lol...I'm so happy theres an episode tommorow...lol...excited...

Okay, So I hooked it up and its working, but, the temps are not anything better, in fact they are hotter. Heres the original before temps with stock cooling: http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9788/gpucputemps.png

And heres the new temps with the Arctic cooler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mBnR2NJ4po

Now the thing is, there are two different Temperatures listed in the video, which one do i go off of?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 7:42:35 PM

I really don't know which one you should go off of...get gpuz it will show only gpu temps which will be easier to interpret...

When you repasted the card, which heat paste did you use?
Did you use arcticlean 1st soclution to clean off the old heatpaste and solution 2 to prepare the surface for the new heatpaste?
And one more thing is that after you repaste your temps might be abit higher...then when the heatpaste sets in after a few days you temps could drop by a few degrees...

And get qpuz...it shows gpu temps and everything related to the gpu
m
l
January 20, 2011 7:48:07 PM

videl said:
I really don't know which one you should go off of...get gpuz it will show only gpu temps which will be easier to interpret...

When you repasted the card, which heat paste did you use?
Did you use arcticlean 1st soclution to clean off the old heatpaste and solution 2 to prepare the surface for the new heatpaste?
And one more thing is that after you repaste your temps might be abit higher...then when the heatpaste sets in after a few days you temps could drop by a few degrees...

And get qpuz...it shows gpu temps and everything related to the gpu

I found out the issue. I used PC wizard 2010 and found out that the temperature that was showed in the video was only at 500RPM, well the stock cooling image that i provided the link for was at 1100 RPM, so manually adjusted fan speed to 40% which is 1100RPM and it dropped to 30°, then at 65% (1400RPM it was 27°! Not bad. So i just needed to adjust fan RPM. Now at auto PWM fan speed its about 30° idle. so i guess its all normal now....(was that to much detail? lol)
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 8:08:37 PM

haha no, not too much...lol
Well my card idles at 46-50 but and that's with tha fan turned down to 30% in msi afterburner...and that's also cause the card runs hot my evga gtx 285 classified...
so your temps are definately not bad...lol...you certainly got some room to oc...
m
l
January 20, 2011 8:11:24 PM

videl said:
haha no, not too much...lol
Well my card idles at 46-50 but and that's with tha fan turned down to 30% in msi afterburner...and that's also cause the card runs hot my evga gtx 285 classified...
so your temps are definately not bad...lol...you certainly got some room to oc...

yikes, never shall i OC, if i break it, it would be hard to RMA, theres so much to assemble back and take off all the heatsinks, what im gonna do is in about 6 months when prices drop is get a 2nd 5870 eyfinity and cross fire!!! By the way, thanks for the help, i know im an anoying noob!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 8:15:18 PM

Cross fire is nice...lol...and don't worry about it I was a noob once too...
and I'm 99.9% sure that you won't kill the card with a small overclock...especially if only overclock using amd overdrive which is designed to stay within the safe limits of overclocking...so you would be fine... but do what you thik is right ;) 
m
l
January 20, 2011 8:25:42 PM

videl said:
Cross fire is nice...lol...and don't worry about it I was a noob once too...
and I'm 99.9% sure that you won't kill the card with a small overclock...especially if only overclock using amd overdrive which is designed to stay within the safe limits of overclocking...so you would be fine... but do what you thik is right ;) 

okay ya true, well i guess im all good to go, although if i had to ask one last question....lol....it would be, the back of the card is completely naked and exposed, is that okay? it feels pretty warm, i guess thats the air from the fans bing pushed through...idk theres also the psu fan blowing directly at the card cooler...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 8:29:23 PM

yes that is ok...it's actually how alot of crads are...and out of experience I'd tell you that it's fine and will never get hot enough to actually get damaged that way...
m
l
January 20, 2011 8:55:24 PM

videl said:
yes that is ok...it's actually how alot of crads are...and out of experience I'd tell you that it's fine and will never get hot enough to actually get damaged that way...

alright, sweet. thanks again for everything. And if i was to ask one more question, I would....im just kidding. thats it for me. Thanks again!

~ http://yutubemedia.com/
YTM
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 8:58:26 PM

You have your own website? nice! I do to...lol
if you want to find me easily... ;) 
http://www.frozentek.com/
m
l
January 20, 2011 9:08:01 PM

videl said:

LOL too funny! Wait for our brainwaves to synchronize with a little homemade lsd cocktail....
m
l
January 20, 2011 9:13:07 PM

videl said:
You have your own website? nice! I do to...lol
if you want to find me easily... ;) 
http://www.frozentek.com/

Oh sweet, awesome, Thanks!
m
l
January 20, 2011 9:17:06 PM

I've always thought that the theory behind the cooling solutions that drew air through and out the pci slot were better than recirculating warmed case air over and over? Which type was your original cooling? Is the Accelero better now? What about clearance for a second card for crossfire?

And Anna Torv is actually Australian. :) 
m
l
January 20, 2011 9:29:32 PM

taso11 said:
I've always thought that the theory behind the cooling solutions that drew air through and out the pci slot were better than recirculating warmed case air over and over? Which type was your original cooling? Is the Accelero better now? What about clearance for a second card for crossfire?

And Anna Torv is actually Australian. :) 

actually, dont think i have room for a second card, not sure, if so, barely. and my oringal cooling was a stock fan in the sapphire card, the stock case and cooler.

oh, Anna Torv, right, I see. either way, impresive she hides the accent
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2011 1:22:03 AM

I'm pretty sure you could fit a second card in...it might come close but should be possible...

Oh so she's Australian...that's even harder for her probably...different slang and terms...so she had to learn all that...I mean being British is even closer to Americans than Australian...
m
l
!