Can Someone Please Save My Day!?? 8(

yutubemedia

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Im So close to getting my GPU up and running, BUT Im installing an arctic cooling accelero xtreme. But now I can not connect the cooler onto my GPU card because My Heatsink that I installed on my GPU RAM is hitting the bracket on the cooler, so the screw holes cant align up. I applied the heat sink with Thermal adhesive Glue that it came with. And so in other words, the heatsinks are to close to the gpu chip, and need to be father towards the edge of the card. So is it okay to pull it off and re apply pushing them farther back, or will that damage the RAM? What should I do?

IMAGE: http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7282/rimg0076.png

Thanks

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I don't know...but I would think that it's fine...
what kind of adhesive glue it it? if it was just a thermal tape that would stick then that's an easy answer: yes...But if it's glue then that's a different story...I think you should be able to take it off if it came with the heatsinks...just make sure you don't just pull up...but twist it and carefully pull up so as not to break the chips off...and you should be fine...try seeing if one of them will budge any if you try that...

I really wish you good luck here ;)

taso11

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Hi, like videl said if it's the thermal double sided sticky tape you should be able to remove the heatsinks and re apply them. If you used something like Arctic Silver's two part themal epoxy don't try to remove them because the memory chips will not let go and come off the video card. In that case can you cut some of the fins with tin snips to give you enough clearance? Grinding or sawing is not recomended cause you'll get a million shavings that can cause a short. If that doesn't work you may have to find a different vga cooler to keep the card operational or resellable.

taso11

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I had read that freezing could help. I tried it twice on southbridge heatsinks. First motherboard was successful next one wasn't. So I don't recommend it. And trying to find a ziplock bag to fit a motherboard was close to impossible. You don't want moisture condensing on the motherboard after you pull it out of the freezer. I recommend you get the video card running first. If you're not happy with it sell it and start over.

yutubemedia

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

Hi Videl and Taso11, okay i got them all off easy just twisted, came right off, so reassembled them all and its all good now, so before can hook this up to my desktop, where do i connect the power cord? Where on the motherboard because the slot on the card I can not reach, the cooler blocks it: http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/503/rimg0098x.jpg

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Well I really would not recoomend hooking it up to the motherbaord as you wouldn't have the correct fan control and the mobo could out put more voltage...after all if the fan came with the cooler it should be designed to somehow fit into the gpu...idk...but if you absolutely had to connect it to the northbridge fan connector (that's the connecter in in the top of your picture)...it would output less voltage...annd if it's not enough voltage try the system fan connector at the bottom of the pic...

taso11

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I'm a little confused. If you are talking about the power connector on the video card, you should have a connector straight from your power supply. The first video card should use the topmost 16x pcie slot.

EDIT: I would connect the new heatsink fan directly to the power supply. The fan may exceed the motherboard fan header amperage and burn out that fan header or worse.

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
^ correct...
I thought you were talking about the fan connector from your graphics cooler...
but if you are talking about the graphics power then you have to connect from the powersupply and the cooler should also be designed to allow you acess to the connection...

yutubemedia

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

Wait! Now im confused? I was talking about the VGA cooler, not the GPU itsself, but the cooler, So your saying the coolers power cord should not be connected to the motherboard, only the GPU slot its self on the gpu?

heres an image: http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3836/rimg0099s.jpg

thanks

yutubemedia

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

Fringe is the BEST show ever! But now they moved it to fridays, which i guess is okay, bit i wish they would stop taking so many season breaks!

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
so you were talking about the fan...yeah, it's better not to hook it up to the mobo...it needs to hook up onto the connection on the gpus pcb somewhere...and it might have been easier to hook it up before attaching the cooler with the screws...or you could hook it up to the psu...

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

My thought exactly...lol but I can't wait till they make some more episodes...it just got so good in the 3rd season...keeps me wondering what's gonna happen next...lol :p

taso11

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I would connect the fan to the video card if it was the same amperage or less. If it's more amps connect it to the power supply. If it pulls to much power it will cause damage. Power supply is safest bet but you'll lose control and maybe the video card may complain that no fan is connected.

I love Fringe! I got into it a year ago. I bought seasons 1 and 2 on blu-ray on a friend's recommendation and watched 4 or 5 episodes at a time. It was great! Now every time there's a game Fringe gets pushed back. I hated waiting 7 days, now it's been over a month right?

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
If you hook it up to the psu you need a small converter most likely...but you should have gotten one with something...

And yeah it's been a while with fringe...I had a few episodes of season three in hd...and it's legit...just can't wait fore more to come out...lol

yutubemedia

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

oh okay, well i guess i will have to take the card off and connect it, id rather not connect it to the PSU because then theres no speed control, like with it connect to the GPU it can control the speed as needed, i think. so yeah.

And by the way, i dont know, its been off the air for a while, no new episode this week iether: http://reruncheck.com/show/fringe?originalquery=fringe

yutubemedia

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

yes it came with this cord adapter you see in the picture, but like that would not control the speed iether though, just one speed right: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/arctic_cooling_accelero_xtreme_plus/images/4.htm