One more drive question

gatonius

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
I am replacing a Maxtor hard drive and I'm going to try and clone it to the new Seagate 1tb drive I have on the way.
I ran the S.M.A.R.T feature on speed fan and what it said about my drive is posted below.
My question is will I be able to clone this drive and do I need to do anything to try and repair it before I do the cloning?
Thanks in advance for any advice
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE : your hard disk has 1907 pending sectors (this value is very large and your hard disk should be replaced). Those are sectors that couldn't be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

NOTE : your hard disk has 1907 offline uncorrectable sectors (this value is very large and your hard disk should be replaced). Those are sectors that an offline scanning found as unreadable. Offline scanning is a process that can be automatically started by the hard disk logic when a long enough idle period is detected or that can be forced by some tool. Those unreadable sectors are identified and the hard disk logic is waiting for a write command that will overwrite them to try to remap them to spare sectors (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

Solution
You can clone the drive, but there are almost 2000 sectors that are unreadable and which will probably result in error messages during the cloning process. You just have to hope that there isn't anything too important in any of those sectors.

There really isn't too much else you can do about it...
You can clone the drive, but there are almost 2000 sectors that are unreadable and which will probably result in error messages during the cloning process. You just have to hope that there isn't anything too important in any of those sectors.

There really isn't too much else you can do about it...

Solution

gatonius

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
So I should just give the cloning a go and if it works I'm good and if it doesn't then do a clean install of windows and all my progs,apps,etc?
I was thinking about trying to clone to a WD drive I have that's empty and in good shape first and see how that goes before trying to clone to my new seagate. Does that sound like a good idea?
Also when you clone a drive does it erase all the info on the original drive?
Sorry for all the questions but I've never "cloned" before.

Cloning will overwrite any data that used to be on the "to" drive and leave the "from" drive unchanged.

I don't see any harm in doing a "test" clone, but I would hang on to the test until you've done the real thing. If the problem drive degrades any further you may not be able to get as much data off on the second attempt, and in that case you may want use your "test" clone as a "Plan B".