P55 DDR3 Compatibility

stumpystumped

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Will a 3x2GB DDR3 RAM kit for X58 MB work on a P55 dual channel MB? Reason I'm asking is that I have 2 MB, 1 for HTPC and 1 for my main computer. I don't think HTPC will require anything more than 2GB so it seems to be a lot cheaper if I just buy a 3x2GB kit and use 1 stick on HTPC and 2 sticks on main computer.

The HTPC computer is a Gigabyte P45 MB while the main computer is a Gigabyte P55-UD3R MB.

Any help would be great!

Also if anyone can explain the difference between the DDR3 RAM then that'd be great. What I'm referring to is some DDR3 are labelled 1.65V while others are labelled 1.5V

Refer to the QVL memory list from the Gigabyte website for both mobos to determine if there the same make/model/speed of RAM is listed for both mobos.

Briefly, the difference between RAM with 1.65 and 1.5 volts is the that is the amount of voltage needed to achieve the spec'd speeds. For example, I can run my 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix at 1.5 and 1.65 volts, the difference being that if I want to run the RAM at 1600 it must have 1.65 volts, however if I want to run it at 1066 it needs only 1.5 volts.

btw...i have found Crucial to be one of the memory makers that is just about compatible with every brand mobo and chipset. Crucial even has a handy dandy Memory Adviser Tool on their website. Also, www.newegg.com carries a lot of Crucial memory, just search for the Crucial part number.

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS