Overclocked 920 vs stock 965

robertomad

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
This topic might have been answered already but i just can't find the thread for this. i might be using wrong tags. anyway, aside from locked or unlocked multiplier is there any other difference between the 2? i just want to know about overall speed, performance, power consumption. Thanks.

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
The 920 has a QPI of 4.8GT/s, whereas the 965 has a QPI of 6.4GT/s.
What does this mean? I've no idea.
Is it worth $600 extra? Hell no!

robertomad

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009

Why do you say No? Was there any evidence of comparing this to say that it's really not worth it? I actually ask this on another forum . Which I was told that QPI can also be adjusted. But I'm not sure whether the functionality is available on any board. The thing is for QPI we're talking about 1.6 GT/s difference. Which IMO is a huge difference that may factor performance. Yes I know 920 is the i7 cpu choice but I need to know why people keep saying 965 is not worth the money? If QPI adjustment is really achivable then I will say YES it's not worth it. Don't care about multipliers because IMO for 965EE it really for EXTREME X2 overclockers which I'm not.

Again, I don't want to step on any toes here most specially those GURUs but as a novice person I need to know why. I've been googling this topic for more than 3 months now. Started with 940 which I then realize it's really a lost cost. But now we have really diffrent factors here.

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
The two processors are equal in all other aspects. If you have the money, then by all means, go with the 965. It will be slightly faster and it will overclock further. For regular builds though, its just not worth paying nearly 3x as much for the 965, when you can easily overclock the 920 to at least 3.6ghz. Putting the $600 saved into a better graphics card setup will always give more for the money.

robertomad

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Last Question Which one will be the next p4 (almost obsolete) in 5-6 Years is it 920 or 965? The reason for asking is that, it's when my next rig will be. Thanks.

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I'd think about it like this... If you go with the 920, you can upgrade to a new processor which will almost certainly be much faster than the 965 in 2-3 years, and still spend less than you would have on the 965)

robertomad

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Sorry to be thick but as you already know the next generations of cpu will be 32nm which will require new motherboard so roughly i still have to almost change the whole system. Do you think 920 will not be obsolete in 5-6 years time? If I wait 975 do you think 965 will go down to an accpetable price?

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
The extreme edition processors never go down to an "acceptable" price, and both the 920 and the 965 will be very much obsolete in 5-6 years.
I'm no expert though, so wait for a few more opinions on this.

IMHO, the 920 will not be nearly as obsoleted in 5-6 years as the P4's became in the same amount of time. Reason? Intel took a decent platform with the original Pentiums, and friggin milked it (and your wallet) for all it was worth. The P4 needed to be scraped long before it was actually phased out.
Then when another company produced simply a much better processor by design, that did not have to run at ridiculous clock rates, and put Intels little money making P4 soundly in it's place, they finally get off the fat-ass money train and actually went to work to design something new and better.
Competition is a good thing.

robertomad

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I can see a bit clearer why 920 is the right choice but I'm just wondering, I know some people has overclocked 920 without adjusting the core voltage. The question is about power consumption of the overall System Is this same as using a stock 965? I'm just wondering because OCers are also adjusting the fan on a higher settings, memory etc. or maybe not for the maximum. Is there an article that discuss how much you save from overclocking not base on CPU but base on the whole System? I mean you maybe saving money now but if you add those additional voltage you use is 920 still a better choice?

In addition, if you are OCing you are also adding Better aftermarket fans, I know it's not ideal but using a stock HSF 965 (w/o OC) you don't. I'm not disputing any answers from this discussion. Honestly, I feel that I'm going towards 920 but because I still have some questions I really need to show myself the whole picture as clearly as possible before I will decide.

I guess my real question is what is the overall power consumption of OCed 920 vs Stock 965?

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009

Actually, I believe that the 32nm, 6 core processors coming out next year will be compatible with current LGA 1366 boards.

The 1366 chips will remain the highend. The i5 will come out with the 1156 pin configuration and be the mainstream chips and use the P55 chipset. Both of these will be around for a while and I am sure the 32nm chips will maintain compatibility.

Look how long the LGA775 chips lasted? from PentiumD through Core2Quads down to 45nm refreshes.