Best CPU under $300 for gaming?

BrianOKC

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
It will be a new system. My current system is just too old to upgrade. If there is a best option for the money that might be the way to go as well. I just don't want to sacrifice a lot of performance to save $50.

BrianOKC

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
So the quad core is the way to go now a days for gaming? I only ask because the last system I built the quads had just came out and everyone's opinion was the Dual cores at a higher clock speed were far superior to the lower speed quad cores for gaming.

lrh9

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Agree on the 2 cores for gaming, 4 cores for games and virus/adware scans. Or if you don't mind buying AMD, you can get one of the 4 core processors with a locked core for 3 cores at a lower price than a 4 core.

If you only play single player games, then it would be entire feasible to have two separate accounts. One where on startup it would be networked and have virus/adware applications running, and one where on startup it would have networking disabled and not start virus/adware applications. You might be able to squeeze online games onto two cores, but I'd probably disable virus scanners then and trust a proactive firewall like Comodo.