How to get my memory to 1600MHZ??

MaRR

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Hi, Does anyone know what setttings i should use to get my corsair triple channel kit to run at its correct speed of 1600MHZ, at present its running at 1000MHZ but im quite new to messing with voltages so dont wanna break my new components.

Hope you guys can help :D

Thanks

My main components are:

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz + Noctua NH-U12P Special Edition CPU Fan
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz
ZOTAC 8400GS 512MB DDR2
Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Well, need to post the model of your Corsair RAM to chk its voltage specs.

Generally, there's a few basic steps. All of these in MIT section of BIOS

Since your system supports XMP, if your RAM does, then turn it on and try out the profiles.

Otherwise,
First, set the DDR voltage to the right number - if compatible w/i7 then shouldn't be more than 1.65V

Reboot - see if it comes up as 1600

Set the Memory Multiplier to Manual, then set the MHz to 1600. Reboot and see how it works. Verify the speed in POST and with CPUz program.

You may later want to change the Latency, making sure to test fully.

The description of the RAM in the link you provided has your answer - "This memory has been verified to operate at 1600MHz at latencies of 9-9-9-24 at 1.65V". If you want your RAM to run at 1600MHz, you need to manually set it to 1600MHz with 9-9-9-24 timings and change the voltage to 1.65v.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
And it does support XMP - which is an Intel method of pre-defining Overclock settings to get the most out of RAM modules.

So after you getting it running manually correctly, might experiment with the XMP choices.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Well, XMP does allow Overclocking for memory which should always work. So instead of rebooting 40 times and running Prime95 and memtest over and over, you get fairly good results without having to play around a lot.

And heck, if XMP actually set the RAM right to specs, voltage, speed and timings, the way Auto and SPD are supposed to - I'm all for it.

If you had a button on your car that said - Best Mileage, Best Perfomance, Good Compromise and Mario Andretti - would you still want to learn how to set the timing and adjust the fuel injectors? Heck, my time's better spent grilling up a nice steak!

Well, setting the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the recommended specs in the BIOS takes about 20 seconds. It certainly doesn't require "rebooting 40 times and running Prime95 and memtest over and over" unless your RAM's faulty. To each his own, I guess. I think XMP's for noobs. I prefer KNOWING the settings are correct.