Larrabee pic

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/12145/intel_shows_larrabee_die_shot/index.html

A shot of a Larrabee Die that hadn't been shown until now attracted the attention of the PC Games Hardware editors on site. On the picture the individual cores of the Larrabee chip are visible. Have fun speculating about the picture!

By this translation I don't think someone is able to assume the number of cores just by looking at the picture. You may be looking at one or at five Larrabees, I guess. Not a very good pic, anyway, but nice to see it "coming to life".

Who knows. We'll see when it comes out. Honestly I don't even think it will outperform my two 3850s when it comes to gaming. I use to think that it would be good for a serious 3rd play to come around, back when nVidia and ATI were charging insane prices for their high end cards while having crappy mid range cards and were accused of price fixing, but ever since AMD bought ATI things have change for the better. ATi keeps giving awesome performance at lower price points and forcing nVidia to lower theirs.

Intel entering the fray could be a bad thing. If they push out nVidia and offer those "loyalty discounts" to also try and lock out AMD/ATI, then we'll see a decrease in innovation again. I guess we'll just wait and see.