1045T Overclocking?

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Phenom
Last response: in Overclocking
January 20, 2011 8:30:04 PM

Hey guys, I'm buying a HP or Dell (either way: the computer comes with a Phenom II x6 @ 2.8GHz). I'm not okay with this. I personally like my processors to break 3.0GHz regardless of brand/cores.. but the 3.0GHz is +$80 more! So, I've heard that you are able to overclock AMD chips (specifically Phenom II) with stock cooling, easily. Would it be possible to overclock my 1045T AMD chip to 3.0GHz from 2.8GHz without replacing the stock cooling? Thanks in advanced.

More about : 1045t overclocking

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 8:51:16 PM

No because that would be a brand computer. if you want to your system to be any customizable...and if you want to overclock even to 3.0 - 3.2 you need to build your own system...that is unless you know for 100% that the motherboard in that hp or dell would have any overclocking features...so I recommend to just build a system instead of buying one...if you need help on picking parts we can help here...
a b À AMD
a c 242 K Overclocking
January 21, 2011 1:08:11 AM

hi... phenom II x6 is very good can overclock use stock Cooling from 2.8 to 3.2 ..use stock cooling.. i have but now i don't use stock cooling because i run everyday 3.92ghz.. safely.

m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2011 1:17:54 AM

henydiah, yes that cpu can overclock but most likely he won't be able to overclock it due to the brand motherboards. Brands like HP or Dell lock the overclocking features on their motherboards. To overlcok he would need a different motherboard and that's why it would be better to build the system rather than buy the brand pc from the store...

Plus you could get a better deal on parts if you're going to build and we can help him correctly choose everything if he doesn't know where to get started...
m
l
a b À AMD
a c 242 K Overclocking
January 21, 2011 1:25:15 AM

@videl oh .. okey ..I agree with you ..
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2011 1:28:28 AM

yeah, I was thinking if he doesn't know how to choose well we could help him out to choose parts on newegg that would fit for his budget and guide him through building the computer...
m
l
January 22, 2011 5:56:41 PM

This is an upgrade from an old computer that I bought from eMachines for $200, and it came with a Pentium 4.. so this is a huge upgrade. However, the motherboard was able to overclock the graphics card that I added onto it (8800GT @ 512MB), but I had to get a new PSU because the wattage was so low on the stock. I was considering buying my own computer, but after shipping and tax it'd be the same price/stats as a pre-built Dell/HP with a free 1-2 year warranty + lifetime warrantys on a few of the individual hardware. I guess I'll just upgrade to the 1090T since I only upgrade every 5-10 years. Thanks for your help.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2011 8:08:47 PM

idk...if you really think that it would be cheaper you can get it...but if you want you can list me the specs you want and I'll put a cart together to see if I can beat your store price even with the shipping...I bet I can do it...you won't believe the deals I sometimes get for my customers...

Just list the specs I I'll see if I can beat that price...

Plus the parts usually come with their own warranties so you shouldn't worry about that...
m
l
January 31, 2011 7:09:34 AM

The only sites I'm comfortable with ordering from is TigerDirect, Amazon, and Newegg. After looking at all of their prices I came up with this:

Intel P67 Socket LGA1155 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
Sony 24X Reader
4GB DDR3 1333MHz
550W Ultra PSU
HD 5870 Diamond
Windows 7 Home Premium

The cheapest total price was about $1200 (before shipping).

Dell (the one that I ordered already):

Random AMD Mobo
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3.0GHz - 3.5GHz 3MB L2 6MB L3
6GB DDR3 1333MHz
1TB 7200RPM
24X Media Reader / Writer
15-in-1 SD card reader
HD 5870 Diamond @ 1GB
Bluetooth
500W PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium
2 year accidental forgiveness / hardware warranty / manufacture warranty

Total price after shipping / tax was $1150.

Maybe it was because of a deal they were having that I got 35% off the system (that was probably it). Anyways, thanks for your help and no.. building your system isn't always cheaper, however: if you had no discounts on either computers building would be a few hundred dollars cheaper; Dell was having a good deal though.
m
l
January 31, 2011 7:09:47 AM

Best answer selected by PandaBearz.
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2011 12:21:06 PM

Just a heads up ....

Some Dell rigs have supported AMD OverDrive in the past.

Not sure about HP desktops - some HP lappies support AOD functions.

I imagine you may load it up and see what access it gives you. Best case it would allow you to disable Turbo and run 15x250MHz with your DDR3 1333 (would require dropping the memory ratio from 667 to 533 in the BIOS)

m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2011 1:08:49 AM

well, in any case I hope you're happy with your system... ;) 
although I'd have to say that the 2500K is way batter than that phenom (1075T)
the sandy bridge has really strong cores and overclocks quite high...and would give you almost twice the performance of the phenom...
m
l
February 3, 2011 1:31:54 AM

I agree the i5 would have faster individual cores. However, I don't overclock so I benefit none from having an unlocked CPU. I chose the Phenom II X6 instead of the 2500K looking into the the future, most programs (including games) will take advantage of multicore processing.. and when they do, Phenom II X6 > i5. Also, according to benchmarks a Phenom II X6 is almost as good as an i7 920.. both are stock.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2011 1:40:09 AM

but sandy bridge kills that i7...i don't know how much the i5 sandy bridge would be better by...but it would be pretty, good that you can bet on. The sandy bridge would most likely outperform the phenom even on stock...if you went with an intel 6 core cpu then maybe getting a sandy bridge would have been pointless...but not in this situation imo...

I mean this is not the normal i5 we're talking about...this is the new sandy bridge i5 we're talking about...
m
l
February 4, 2011 8:42:33 AM

I understand, but there were problems. For one, the barebones with the i5 didn't come with Windows 7, which means I would've been stuck spending +$200 on the barebones for just difference processors but the rest of the hardware would've been the same, or I could decrease the hardware's individual cores but upgrade the overall cores and hope that soon programmers will stop being lazy and make everything multicore compatible. So, once that happens I will have been glad I chose the Phenom instead of the i5.. thanks for the input, though.
m
l
a b À AMD
a c 242 K Overclocking
February 4, 2011 4:46:49 PM

Phenom x6 faster than i5 ... For me
m
l
February 5, 2011 7:34:55 AM

henydiah said:
Phenom x6 faster than i5 ... For me

No doubt. But futuristically speaking, once programs/games start taking advantage of multicore processing, the Phenom II X6 will have +2 more cores than the i5. And because I went with the 1090T BE, I can overclock it to 4.0GHz in the future and have it be faster than the highest 4 core i7 (once common programs can handle 6 cores, of course.)
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2011 3:54:57 PM

videl said:
idk...if you really think that it would be cheaper you can get it...but if you want you can list me the specs you want and I'll put a cart together to see if I can beat your store price even with the shipping...I bet I can do it...you won't believe the deals I sometimes get for my customers...

Just list the specs I I'll see if I can beat that price...

Plus the parts usually come with their own warranties so you shouldn't worry about that...

videl said:
well, in any case I hope you're happy with your system... ;) 
although I'd have to say that the 2500K is way batter than that phenom (1075T)
the sandy bridge has really strong cores and overclocks quite high...and would give you almost twice the performance of the phenom...

Waaaaaaaaay ... batter - batter - batter -batter -batter ----- S W I N G !

And a miss.

PandaBearz said:
No doubt. But futuristically speaking, once programs/games start taking advantage of multicore processing, the Phenom II X6 will have +2 more cores than the i5. And because I went with the 1090T BE, I can overclock it to 4.0GHz in the future and have it be faster than the highest 4 core i7 (once common programs can handle 6 cores, of course.)

There is little to stress across 6 cores on the market -- won't be for quite some time, and there is no real reason for it. A single fast core (thread) is just dandy for a significant number of your tasks.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2011 8:58:41 PM

@PandaBearz, yes I see your situation and understand you...

to the rest of youszzzzz.....
All I was saying that, yes the normal i5 is weaker then the phenom X6, however the new sandy bridge i5 is most likely (and even more than most likely) quite a bit stronger than the normal i5 (Clarkdale and Lynnfield) and the phenom x6...
sandy bridge is new and way more powerful than any of the older chips...
unfortunately the chips/mobos got recalled do to an accidental screwup... and won't be back till the problem is fixed...other than that though, performance-wise the sandy bridge was killing!
m
l
November 13, 2011 5:33:58 AM

videl said:
@PandaBearz, yes I see your situation and understand you...

to the rest of youszzzzz.....
All I was saying that, yes the normal i5 is weaker then the phenom X6, however the new sandy bridge i5 is most likely (and even more than most likely) quite a bit stronger than the normal i5 (Clarkdale and Lynnfield) and the phenom x6...
sandy bridge is new and way more powerful than any of the older chips...
unfortunately the chips/mobos got recalled do to an accidental screwup... and won't be back till the problem is fixed...other than that though, performance-wise the sandy bridge was killing!

im wanting to do something similar with my pc that the original poster was going to do. i want to overclock my hp amd phenom xii 1045t sixcore processor, but ikd where to begin. and idk if its even possible, heres my specs, i have done some customizing of my own pc but not much

hp amd phenom XII sixcore processor 1045t @ 2.7ghz
nvidia gtx 550 ti 1 gb ddr5
corsair gs600 watt

m
l
!