Why would a vga cable connection to hdmi cable connection not produce a signal t

al2747

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
I have an older model laptop hp computer(about 3 to 4 years old). I have been able in the past to connect the vga out on the computer to a vga in on a newer tv set. My Sony flat screen tv is about 3 years old and has no vga input. I attempted to connect via a vga out on the laptop to an hdmi in on the tv. I am unable to get the screen on the laptop to switch over to the hdmi connection on the tv set.

What could be causing this please?

Thanks

Al Lewis

You are trying to make lemonade out of apple juice.

VGA and HDMI are two very different things and cannot be 'faked' using a wire cutter and a soldering iron.
What you are trying to do will not work with what you have to work with.

when you say...
"I am unable to get the screen on the laptop to switch over to the hdmi connection on the tv set."
The sentence makes no sense at all... Look again at what you actually said..

I am unable to get the screen on the laptop to switch over to the hdmi connection on the tv set.

This indicates you are trying to make the laptop screen show what is on your TV, which BTW is not a source.

English is my second language, and after many years of practice, I think I have it down pretty good. Your sentence is what I have learned to be a 'self-annihilating coincidence.'

I know everything I've said is of no help at all, but I don't see how anyone else can actually be of help either based on what your are trying and what you have said. :??:

al2747

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
I purchased a cable from Amazon. This cable is supposed to allow one to connect ones computer(vga out) to an HDMI switch and then this connects to the Sony TV. The HDMI switch has two other connections. One is from a TIVO and the other from a Blue Ray DVD player. Both of these work fine through the switch. Since the connections are very simple meaning one from the VGA connection on the laptop and can not be screwed up, the other to the HDMI in on the HDMI switch position number 3 and the number 3 position light is on, I can not understand why I get no picture on the TV. Of course one has to push function and the screen buttons on the laptop to switch the signal over to the TV. I have sucessfully done this in the past with a VGA to VGA cable. As I mentioned, my TV does not have a VGA input.

So now does this make more sense to you then? Have I made myself clear?

Thanks for your comments eventhough they were somewhat berating.

Yup, now this makes sense. You are not cutting into wires and making a hill-billy setup.

Try this....

Right-click the desktop and select Properties, Settings.

It should have 2 monitors showing in the window. Click the faded-out looking one and then click "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor." The Drop-Down box labeled Display should have the VGA monitor listed. You can also set the color-depth and resolution for that VGA out and be careful of the resolution, if set too high, nothing will show but noise.

Thanks for your comments eventhough they were somewhat berating
We can only go by what someone says. It's absolutely amazing what people come up with.
Your original post made me think...Oh goodness, what's this guy trying to do?
I am very pleased you came back to clarify exactly what you are doing.

al2747

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
PS

We here in the south don't call it a hillbilly set up. We call it one of two other things maybe three. One is "jerryrig".

I really won't say the other two for fear of offending someone.

Thanks again

al2747

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Okay then,

I did what you suggested but still the function and monitor switch does not work eventhough there is a configuration difference. I may try my wife's laptop with the same cable to see if maybe there is an issue with the age of mine. Hers is only about a year and a half old.

Will let you know.

Thanks

To me, a hillbilly is someone that lives so far out in the woods that they can't get to town to get what they need, so they make it.

Your computer BIOS may have something to set to get the VGA to work.

al2747

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hi again,

I tried the set information you suggested with my wife's laptop as well. No joy.... as the cops say. I think I will just send the cable back to Amazon and "punt". Apparently it just isn't going to work. As I mentioned before the VGA to VGA on a TV which has that connection works. Go figure.

Thanks for your suggestions and help. " This Dog ain't gonna hunt"...

Have a good evening.

Just because it is new, doesn't mean it works.. Perhaps a refund is in order.

Good luck.

What cable did you buy? The only ones I have seen have a note that states "the PC needs to have digital out capability though the VGA port". I don't think I have ever seen such a spec on a computer before, although it seems something out there must have it. Unless they just want to sell useless cables and put in some non-existant requirement to cover their bases. Like selling a car that they state will get 100mpg and then say it needs to use "magic fairy golden gas" in small print.

Digital to analog works easy, they have cheap DVI to VGA adapters for example.
Analog to Digital needs an active converter. I'm guessing in your case your computer does not have this digtal VGA connection and the cable is not an active one.

You probably want to use this or something like this http://vgatohdmi.com/

al2747

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Now this makes a lot of sense. I may not however be willing to put out the $ 80.00. I will think on this but I thank you very much for your input, research et al.

Yes this cable is from Amazon and it has the VGA connection on one end and a HDMI on the other. You are most probably right that the analog needs to be converted to the digital.

Who knows I might just order one to prove you right.

Thanks again.

You're welcome, but not much research had to be done, there are probably over a dozen questions like this on these forums already. You need an active converted to get VGA to DVI or HDMI or DisplayPort, and those cables are not the ones to get.

Although if the TV already has a VGA input ordering an active connection just to use HDMI is a waste of money, the quality won't be much better if at all.

al2747

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
The converter box did not work either. I am sending it back as well. Interesting since I have used a VGA computer output to VGA input on several computers before and they work.

I am puzzled at the fact that one can not use the converter box.

Oh well punt I guess....