P7P55D Death - By 3 Pin CPU Fan??? - Help

Big Dave

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Hey guys,

I really need help understanding what is happening because I've gone through one motherboard and Iv'e just sent the second in for RMA.

I'm building a system, almost all new parts.
Mobo - P7P55D
CPU - i7 860
Ram - 4GB Kingston HyperX (all three bought from Newegg as a package deal).
PSU - Corsair HX1000W Modular 1000w Power Supply (Used for 2 months prior.)
Graphics - XFX Ati 4890XT
HD - 320GB Western Digital
Rear exhaust fans - 2x 80mm wired directly to PSU
Intake fans - 2x 80mm wired into motherboard

So I have all the parts hooked up. I've read the manuals on the hardware looking for possible compatibility issues. I top all of this off with a ThermalTake Spin-Q Cpu cooler. I didn't have any problems installing the fan onto the board. The Spin-Q is a three prong plug going into a 4 pin on the mobo; I figure oh well no power management. I checked the manual and forums for 3pin to 4pin and it didn't give any warnings, so I thought it was good to go.

I power on and the system seems to be starting up fine. The graphics card fans is on, but silent, CPU fan is spinning, all case fans working fine. I get an error message (Red Text, Black backgroud-probably from BIOS) stating the cpu fan is not plugged in, I'm looking at it...it's spinning. I turned off the system, checked the fans connection, and rebooted it. This time I still received the error message, but decided to leave it for a while hoping it would go into bios and I could play with the power management settings.

The system shut down on its own. When I powered the system back on the graphics card was spinning at max speed, the two intake fans (wired to the motherboard) were spinning, and so was the CPU fan. However the two exhaust fans wired directly to the PSU were not running. My guess is that the PSU doesn't see the Motherboard. I get nothing on the screen, I hear no beeps or posting activity, the system seems dead.

I tried clearing the CMOS at the request of an ASUS tech I'm talking with. I tried firing up the board with no Ram installed, no Graphics Card, no CPU...trying to get as simple as possible, just to get the board to even give me so much as a beep. I get nothing, so I RMA the board. I have also tried using just one stick of memory in one slot at a time, clearing the CMOS as I go between each slot. None of the QLed's were working after the board stopped working, but I did remember seeing them light before the board stopped working the first time. You could press the MemOK button with the memory in and it would blink periodically, but never stop.

I've tried using my systems video card and RAM in another system and both worked Ok. My PSU worked in my prior system for about two months before I decided to buy this new system and use it with it.

Two days later, I get another board. Thinking it was a bad moboI slap on the Spin-Q. The plan was that should I see an error message I was just going to turn off the system and go with the stock fan. I didn't get any error messages this time, the system rebooted itself twice and then turned itself off. The second board is acting the same as the first symptom wise, I can't get it to make a sound.

Is my CPU fan really killing my board? I didn't think it was possible for such a thing to happen. It's plugged into the correct plug. I don't think it's my PSU because I used it on another build for about two months before getting the pieces to this one. I have RMA'd the Asus board again and the CPU in case it might have been damaged as well. On the Newegg's product review forum someone posted that they use a ThermalTake CPU fan with 3 Pin (but not my exact model) in response to my review there. Has anyone ever experienced something like this? I just can't see a fan knocking out a motherboard, but the original error message references the the CPU fan. I have no intention of using my ThermalTake fan right now, I'll go with the stock Intel fan till I figure what's going on. Any hints on how to get my board working again? Is it really down for the count? School me up on this guys.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
If the PSU fans are not spinning, even once, it's bad. Nothing I can guess at would stop them from turning.

Don't waste another motherboard on this PSU.

The message you got regarding the CPU fan was likely because you didn't 1)set BIOS to Optimized Defaults as your very first step. 2) Had PWM turned on in BIOS to control the fan.

Big Dave

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

Let me expound on that Mongox, because I think I may not be clear. I've never been anywhere close to BIOS yet. On my first mobo, prior to getting the error message, my 2 case fans wired to the PSU directly were spinning just fine. After letting the error message sit (expecting it to go to BIOS) the system turned itself off. When I powered the system back on those same two fans wouldn't spin and nothing would post. I'm thinking it's because the PSU doesn't see the motherboard (like you know how when you don't have a PSU connected to anything and try and turn it on the fans on the PSU itself won't go).

Everything wired through the motherboard spins fine (the fan on the CPU, the two case fans that are wired to the motherboard directly)

I'm still taking your advice to heart, but I wanted to make myself clear on the above. And I've been using that same PSU for a couple months at least already. I'm going to rebuild my old system with that PSU and run it through the hurdles. If it F's up, it's Rma'd. I'll also try and get another PSU to try out with this system.

Thanks for the advice.

Big Dave

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
It was the PSU. It seems that the 8 pin plug wasn't getting power to the chip, even though the 24 pin plug was working fine. RMA took about a week and a half, but when I plugged in everything, beeped, spun and worked as well as I could expect it to. Thanks for all of the help Mongox. You certainly helped me out!

Dave