Memory suggestions for GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P

dyebroke

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Hello,
I am building a new pc using the GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P mobo. I have the list of compatible memory, but would like to get some input on what kind of memory y'all have used with this board and which you think would offer the best experience. Looking at 4GB to start...

Heres a couple compatable choices I found at newegg....

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231189

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

I will probably try to unlock the 4th core on the X3 720, and may overclock the vid card a bit, probably wont mess with the memory or ocing the cpu unless its necessary when unlocking the 4th core.

Some of my other parts:
AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE
?? Radeon 4670
Corsair 450

So, what are the best memory choices for this board and are proven to work with it?
Thanks in advance!.... :hello:

Solution
I'll start by saying I don't have this board, but I do answer a LOT of questions about RAM.

Get the lowest latency 1333 DDR3 you can find that runs between 1.5V and 1.65V. Doesn't matter if it says for i5/i7, it's fine for your system.
Read this article about why to stick with 1333, skip to the Conclusions if your eyes water!
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-scaling-i7,2325.html

Low voltage because - it's generally better designed RAM and newer. The higher voltages are often just a mfg pushing the specs up on his RAM by driving it with lots of voltage.

The G.Skill 1333 you list is a great choice in my opinion.

Don't discount the idea of some minor OC on your CPU. None is necessary for unlocking. But the performance...

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I'll start by saying I don't have this board, but I do answer a LOT of questions about RAM.

Get the lowest latency 1333 DDR3 you can find that runs between 1.5V and 1.65V. Doesn't matter if it says for i5/i7, it's fine for your system.
Read this article about why to stick with 1333, skip to the Conclusions if your eyes water!
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-scaling-i7,2325.html

Low voltage because - it's generally better designed RAM and newer. The higher voltages are often just a mfg pushing the specs up on his RAM by driving it with lots of voltage.

The G.Skill 1333 you list is a great choice in my opinion.

Don't discount the idea of some minor OC on your CPU. None is necessary for unlocking. But the performance gained by a modest 10% increase in CPU speed dwarfs the difference between the fastest and slowest RAM.

Get a replacement cooler fan. I use a Scythe Katana3, you'll find my review at Newegg with exact dimensions for it so you know if it'll fit in case easily. Or get something more basic like an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro - both around $30 I believe.

I'm sure your motherboard manual says to get a PSU of at least 550W. Doesn't mean you need that much, but I'd recommend it. I have a cheaper 585W that I'm happy with but most will say stick with a name brand like you list. Consider tho, both the Corsair 450 and 550 have a single 12V rail, mine has 2 rails and cost $30. Could buy a spare to sit on shelf and a nice steak for the price difference, LOL. But, mine doesn't have that nice big air-drawing fan, just a small one.

But then, I got the cute 3-LED Antec fans for my ugly case, so not a problem!

Good Luck - hope you find the advice helpful. Others will surely have slightly different opinions, but the principles remain solid.

Solution

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Easiest for you to delete the thread in Memory yourself quickly before someone replies. Your memory question is fairly easy and I think the other component choices are more fitting in this forum.

dyebroke

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
So your saying stick with the DDR3 1333, in low lat, not so big a deal if its not on the compatibility chart for the mobo?

I hope to have a nice simple build n get it going without too much hassel. :sol:

I may consider OCing down the road.... after I get it up n running and have some more $$ for the cooler.

Thanks for the input! :hello:

bilbat

Splendid
Lots of memory that will work never makes the approved list - it's endemic to the industry. For GBs, what happens is the approved memory list is made up when the MOBO is introduced from sticks they have been provided samples of, and never updated thereafter; in addition, many of the memory manufacturers that you'll see there you've never heard of, as (and I've said this before) I'm sure you can pick them up at any gas station in Taiwan, but they're not to be had here. That's also why, for a lot of boards, there are scads of 512M and 1G sticks, but few 2x2s and 4x2s...