ICH10R... RAID 1 > no RAID > RAID 10

callten

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Hi,

I currently have 2 x 2tb Samsung F4's in a RAID 1. I have just bought 2 more with a view to going up to RAID 10. With the ICH10R controller (on a Asus P6X58D-E) I can go from RAID 0, 1, or 10 to 5, I can't go from 1 to 10.

Is it possible to unRAID the RAID 1, leaving one complete set of the data (about 1tb at the moment) and then put that into a RAID 10 when the other 2 drives arrive? I can probably squeeze all the data onto external drives etc if I need to format the 2tb drives to create the RAID 10, I just thought I would see if it was possible to go straight into the new array.

Thanks.

I think I would make a backup image of the existing volume, reset the HDDs to RAID 10, then install the image to the new RAID volume. I had to do something similar last week to save an XP RAID 1 volume. I was using Acronis 11, but could not get any Acronis recovery disk to boot.
I dual boot XP and W7, so I was finally able to re-install the backup image with Acronis installed while running W7.

callten

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Thanks, treefrog. The 2 new drives haven't arrived yet but I have managed to get all the data off the RAID volume onto various external drives. It's a mess and I have hardly any space anywhere but it will serve a purpose until I get the RAID 10 implemented. :)