Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best RAM for Sandy Bridge?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 21, 2011 1:06:34 PM

Hey folks, so I am one of the many who got in the Microcenter deal with the Asus Pro board and the i7 2600k..upgrading from a q6600 system.

I mistakenly picked up the Patriot Sector 5 CL9 1333 8gb (2x4) set of RAM in the same shopping trip, not aware the 1.65v is not considered appropriate for Sandy Bridge. Now I know I can probably undervolt the ram but I'd rather just get 1600 1.5v specced RAM for the extra few bucks more.

There are 2 sets I am looking at:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Both seem to have identical specs but I am leaning towards the G.Skill because they are slightly cheaper and I am a little concerned about the height of the heat spreader on the Vengeance set. However, I noticed that the latter is very popular with a lot of builders at the moment so I am just curious at you guys' input?

Thanks!!!

More about : ram sandy bridge

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2011 12:24:47 AM

Up until recently I would have recommended the G.Skill in a heartbeat, but it seems that several people here who have extensive experience with both companies say that RMA rates on G.Skill are much higher. I've used them on two builds with no problems, but I may have just gotten lucky.
m
l

Best solution

January 24, 2011 8:07:44 PM

Everybody will have their personal opinion. I say go with Corsair, I seem to trust that brand a little better. But in the past I've had to RMA a 16GB flash drive with them and I sent them my old used up one with missing cover and I got a brand new one back 2 weeks later. The flash drive was a year old.

I have used both RAM types in PC builds in the past and I used G.Skill in my last build and it's still working good. The price difference between both is not much with Corsair being only $10 more as of this writing. But if the price gap was way more then I would suggest otherwise.
Related resources
January 25, 2011 6:43:32 PM

Thanks guys. They both seemed very similar but in the end chose the Ripjaws X because of their lower profile. G.Skill also comes with a lifetime warranty but I hope I won't have to make use of that!

Next upgrade..SSD drive..the new system is blazing fast but the HD (WD Caviar Blue) seems to have turned into a bottleneck.
m
l
February 4, 2011 12:08:19 AM

Best answer selected by dplane.
m
l
!