t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Does anyone know of a good tutorial on how to do this? I am most curious on the end of the red, yellow, and black wires. There is a tiny little metal slat that needs to be soldered on to it, what are they called and where can I get one? Also, how do you take a part the 3 pin connector. It's a small solid box that doesn't com apart. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I take it you have several fans with different connectors you want to change to make the same so you can plug into standard molex plugs?

Frys electronics has a neat little box that has 6 of the 3 pin connectors you use to plug in your 3 pin connectors and it takes 1 standard molex plug to power it for 9.99.

Frys Electronics has tons of different connectors to solder so check there if you have one nearby. I dont know if their online site www.frys.com have them listed or not.

I don't think I resolved your issue but I don't think I had enough info either...

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
I have an antec 1200 and a scythe fan controller. I want to connect my front 3 fans on the case which are all 4 pin molex to the small 3 pin connection. My question is, where do I get the small metal tips that connect into the 3 pin connector. I don't know how to take the 3 pin connectors apart either as they are a small solid piece of plastic. Do you just yank the wires out of an existing 3 pin connector?

I know I have SEVERAL of the adapters lying around that have those on them. I would probably clip them off, leaving enough wire to strip and solder to the fan wires.

This would likely be the most cost effective way to do it if you have those lying around. If not, check fry's as mentioned above.

xaira

Distinguished
make sure all the negatives meet at the negative source and the positives meet at the positive if you daisychain the fan in the middle will be weak

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

what do you mean by "it will be weak if you daisychain the fan in the middle"?

Duesouth

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
go parallel and not series is the right way to go. but careful not to connect to many on the same 4 pin connector wire that comes out of the psu, try to spread the load by using more than one source of the power. use 3 or 4 of the 4 pin connector wire that comes from the psu.
I am sure you understand me.

you got like 4 4pin connector wires that come out of the psu and each wire has like 3 connectors of 4 pins. hence do not overload by installing a splitter on the 4pin molex connector. for example your wall plug has only 2 3 prones connector on it and we get a power bar to get more plugs. I do not recommend you to that to your power supply. the amperage will add up.

spread the load.

simple electricity.

You've missed the point.
t33lo is looking to connect multiple fans to a single connector on a fan controller.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
I think i got the gist of it. I saw some good pictures online that show how to do it. I was most concerned with taking off the head of one of the fan connectors, but I think the best way is simply to just cut off a head and solder it to the fans. I'll have to buy some cheap fans at the store a few towns over and scrap the fans, seems like the best option unless I can buy those small 3pin heads somewhere online.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for. Do you know if the heads and the connectors are all thats needed? It appears that the wires run through those little metal connectors and the connectors go into the plastic 3 pin connector. Is that correct?

Yes and yes.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Just a note for ya....

Only connect all the black wires together and all the red wires together. These are the power wires (+12V).

Only connect the yellow wire from ONE fan to the speed controller. Other wise it'll probably get confused from the multiple signals. The yellow wire is the TACH or RPM sensor wire.

http://pinouts.ws/cpu-fan-pinout.html

EDIT...

Oh yeah, you can remove the wires from the 3 wire connector. On one side of the connector there are 3 little openings that you can see the contacts inside. These are the little tabs that retain the contacts inside the connector.

Just use a small screwdriver or a pin and press that tab down while you pull gently on the wire. It should slide right out. When you reinstall the contact, just make sure you bend the tab back up so it again holds the contact inside the connector.