Sign in with
Your question

Ram question

Last response: in Components
July 25, 2009 9:22:52 AM

hey guys please can you help me out here, my pc always blue screens when i manually try to clock my ram to 1066mhz??? it never does it on 800mhz. The ram is crucial ballistix 1066mhz, i have been told the reason this wont clock at max speed is due to a cpu limitation??? is this the case?

More about : ram question

July 25, 2009 10:11:08 AM

dacca said:
hey guys please can you help me out here, my pc always blue screens when i manually try to clock my ram to 1066mhz??? it never does it on 800mhz. The ram is crucial ballistix 1066mhz, i have been told the reason this wont clock at max speed is due to a cpu limitation??? is this the case?

It's probably a motherboard limitation. What motherboard and CPU do you have?
July 25, 2009 10:52:20 AM

Crashman, I'm assuming its the mobo and CPU in his sig. (Gigabyte 790FX and the 9750.)

If it blue screens when you manyally change it, its probably a voltage issue. Stock DDR2 ram runs with 1.8v. 1066MHz ram probably needs 2.1v+. Check what voltage you need and try again.
Related resources
July 25, 2009 11:05:46 AM

hey there thanks for the quick replies, so glad i signed up to this site :)  my ram is running at 1.8 currently, it says on the ram that stock voltage should be 2.0v with timings of 5-5-5-18 i think, do i need to manually alter my timings or is it just the voltage i need to up? also how do i alter the voltage? i know its in the bios but to alter voltages i get +0.5 +1 etc, with the voltage being set at 1.8 do i need to add 2? or do it by .5? sorry bout being a noob i have worked with computers for a long while and voltages and timings is something i am just beginning to get my head around
July 25, 2009 11:59:52 AM

dacca said:
hey there thanks for the quick replies, so glad i signed up to this site :)  my ram is running at 1.8 currently, it says on the ram that stock voltage should be 2.0v with timings of 5-5-5-18 i think, do i need to manually alter my timings or is it just the voltage i need to up? also how do i alter the voltage? i know its in the bios but to alter voltages i get +0.5 +1 etc, with the voltage being set at 1.8 do i need to add 2? or do it by .5? sorry bout being a noob i have worked with computers for a long while and voltages and timings is something i am just beginning to get my head around

I just looked into your BIOS, you probably need to set it to +0.20, though +0.30 probably wouldn't hurt.
August 15, 2009 5:39:49 PM

hey there, thankds for the help, all is good now, finally got it all sorted, didnt have to alter timings etc, was just the voltage as you said, really appreciate everyones help
!