Sign in with
Your question

MSI Core Unlocking

Last response: in Overclocking
January 21, 2011 11:14:09 PM

After figuring out how to change voltage again, I'd like to try core unlocking a bit before I do any more overclocking. I have a MSI 785GT - e63 along with an AMD Phenom II x2 550 3.1 GHz, overclocked at 3.8 (Going to lower it later, especially when trying core unlocking). I tried a little myself with ACC and the MSI Core Unlock tool, but it tends to crash while at the Win7 loading screen (I'm not sure if that officially makes them defective). I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing it right.

More about : msi core unlocking

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2011 11:53:45 PM

Unlocking should work as long as your cpu is not faulty...I have done it on 2 boards... the gigabyte GA MA770T and the MSI 790FX GD70. Some times your cpu won't be stable after an unlock sometimes that's due to the fact that the cpu needs more voltage...mine worked perfectly at stock speed at 1.325v and it would unlock and stay stable...however some cpus need a bit more than that voltage...if your cpu is not stable unlocked with a voltage of 1.45 then you probably have one or two faulty cores there.

When unlocking the cores put the cpu to stock...in fact put everything to stock and then unlock...if it's not stable pick up the voltage in increments of .025 until stable...If it never gets stable then you are just unlucky...sometimes after unlocking you will have one core faulty and you can lock one core and see if you can get it stable as an X3...

Here are some instructions on how to do it on that board...taken from here http://uk.msi.com/news.php?news_no=7

STEP 1: Enter the Cell Menu option list in the BIOS

STEP 2: Enable the Unlock CPU Core function

STEP 3: Enable the ACC (Advanced Clock Calibration) function, and, at this time, you will see the originally two core list will become a four core list with the options of enabling/disabling any of Core 2

At this time, though Core 1 cannot be disabled, all other cores have the options of being enabled/disabled, but should any of the cores be unstable, the user may be unable to start his/her O/S, and the system may even crash.

STEP 5: If the cores are unlocked successfully, the user may try entering the system information and discover that what was first a dual-core CPU has grown to a quad-core , and the performance has highly increased.
January 23, 2011 1:26:46 PM

I'm not sure yet if the cores are defective or if I'm just being dumb. The BIOS is confusing me, instead of normal numbers the closest to 1.45 is 1.452, which next is 1.552. I also don't have an option to enable or disable the cores, but they are showing up if I use per core, as I see all four cores with -2%.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2011 5:13:41 PM

Follow Videls' advice, he knows alot about unlocking Phenom IIs.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2011 9:56:43 PM

Well on my board it works perfectly by setting the core unlock to enabled and then setting ACC to auto (which usually sets each core to -2%) set voltage to as close as possible to 1.45...so even 1.452 would work...it doesn't matter that much...(at this point it might not show all 4 cores in the bios and will only show 1 core possible to disable)...save the bios...now when you go in the second time after unlocking the cores you should be able to see all 4 cores in the bios and will be able to disable 1-3 of them.....
January 24, 2011 2:24:56 AM

I tried what you said and noticed some things. Before and after rebooting, I still have no disable core feature. Before doing this, my computer crashed mysteriously and all the BIOS settings had been reset, but not CMOS. In my Cell menu I have a read-only CPU specs menu. After rebooting with my voltage boosted and cores unlocked, it said I have 4 cores, but it said my voltage was still 1.35, even though it was 1.45. It still says I have the latest BIOS update, so I don't think it's that. I'm honestly not sure what it could possibly be anymore, but I'm suspecting it may not be the cores (though it still can be).
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 3:38:00 AM

check your voltages in cpuz if you can boot into windows... I would even allow 1.48v easy...should be fine as long as you have good cooling...I've pumped 1.62v into my chip without killing it (which is extremely risky lol) so even 1.5 - 1.54 would be pretty tolerable...
January 24, 2011 3:53:20 AM

I'm not sure it's setting the voltage correctly. It's there when I'm in BIOS but when I use the CPU Specifications tab or even AMD Overdrive, it says I have 1.35v. As for cooling, I have the thermaltake frio, so I'm great on that. I'm at 27 celcius while running a ton of firefox windows alone with PC Games.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 4:01:31 AM

wait so it boots with four cores?
January 24, 2011 5:23:03 AM

With the four cores enabled it makes it to the Windows loading screen and crashes shortly after.
January 24, 2011 2:31:20 PM

I was able to unlock 4 cores on my 555 BE. My system boots up okay but during a game or video it crashes. Blue screen comes up and looks like it says something about memory and then it dumps the memory. I wonder if you are having the same problem, in which case. I haven't tried this yet. But maybe setting the memory timing manually and setting to 2T setting will help it run stable? Not sure it will help? But, I was going to try that?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 2:44:23 PM

It might but adding voltage may help as well...so you should try that...
and Dragon52225, it really is starting to sound familiar...a faulty core...
most likely...and unfortunately...
January 24, 2011 2:47:43 PM

I figure there is always overclocking, if the core unlock fails? If need be.
January 24, 2011 2:49:41 PM

It might be, but it would be useful to see for sure if the voltage actually changed. It seems like no matter what I set it to, it goes to 1.35v. Since I'm jumping from two to four cores, it could be crashing just due to lack of power, but it could also be a faulty core (Would be nice to disable it and keep it as a tri if both aren't faulty). I'm not entirely sure.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 2:50:22 PM

yeah you should be able to overclock even if your cores are faulty...and that's if you need the extra performance...
January 24, 2011 2:53:06 PM

Is it better to adjust voltage in BIOS or through AMD software? Also, You are talking about adjusting VCore correct? Just VCore?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 2:55:44 PM

BOIS all the way! way more stable...and yes vcore is what you raise and if it's still not stable you try some other voltages...
January 24, 2011 2:56:21 PM

The voltages I have in BIOS are

CPU Voltage (V)
CPU-NB Voltage (V)
DRAM Voltage (V)
NB Voltage (V)
HT Link Voltage (V)

I'm adjusting CPU and CPU-NB. VCore in CPU-Z and AMD Overdrive is what shows as 1.35v.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 3:03:52 PM

yeah adjust cpu voltage...cbu-nb not as much...only if it gets to the point where adding voltage to the cpu is not enough for stability...then add cpu-nb....
if your motherboard is a bit more advanced it might have cpuvdd voltage as well that could add stability when raising voltage...and careful if raising that, raising it too high on some boards fries the vrms...
January 24, 2011 3:12:24 PM

My motherboard only has those five I listed, it's very strange. I do still wonder however why adjusting CPU Voltage doesn't seem to actually adjust, it stays idle (again at 1.35). I noticed I can't exactly overclock very high either. There's a tomshardware page about overclocking the same CPU I have, even the same frequency I have. They managed to get it to about 18x without upgrading power, which is exactly how much I got it. They finished with 19.5x, but I can't get passed 18x.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 3:24:47 PM

does cpuz show the same exact voltage as amd overdrive? I don't know why your motherboard is acting stupid although I've heard of this happening before...most likely the motherboards fault...
January 24, 2011 3:41:27 PM

I have an MSI 770-G45 motherboard. But, I will try the voltage trick, maybe it will work for me? I have a different motherboard but similar issue. I had to update by BIOS firmware, I was getting incorrect temperature readings.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 3:52:00 PM

hmmm...good that you updated...was it the msi that was screwing up with voltage readings?
January 24, 2011 3:59:23 PM

Did you check for any BIOS updates Dragon? Maybe that's causing some problems. MSI actually recommends updating to the latest BIOS before unlocking cores.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 4:05:03 PM

yup on MSIs that's how it is...and I've heard of the voltage problem happening on the msi 790fx gd70 (my board except mines one of the lucky working ones)
January 24, 2011 8:19:53 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong. But, I am technically able to unlock 4 cores on my 555 BE. I can load up my operating system just fine. In fact I nearly made it an hour using the AMD overdrive stress test. I believe, I'm close? I did not touch the voltages yet, which may be the issue or is it a memory timing issue? I hear alot of people who can't get the PC to post after an Unlock. But, I can. The issue I have is after putting some stress on the system it crashes and memory dump screen pops up. No CPU shutdown screen or incompatibility errors? So when I get home, I need to adjust my VCore and maybe check my memory timing? Would that be the next logical step?

I have the MSI 770-G45, G.Skill Ripjaws 2GBx2 at 1333, Phenom II X2 555 BE and Hyper 212 plus cooler
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 8:25:54 PM

Set your cpu clock speed to stock and set your ram speed to manufacturer recommended settings...then try raising the cpu voltage a notch or two and see if that adds stability...
January 24, 2011 9:11:29 PM

My BIOS is up to date already, using MSI's Live Update 4 tool. I don't remember if I said that in my first post, but it is. To videl's response, both CPU-Z and AMD Overdrive both show exactly 1.35v.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2011 12:45:08 AM

Wow that sounds like a defect you need to contact msi and ask about it...maybe you'll be able to get it fixed or get a new board...
January 25, 2011 2:40:39 PM

I wasn't able to use the live update for the bios. It would download it but never install it because I had a couple programs running that I could not shut down. So I used the M-flash utility, safer to use m-flash. Live update can easily be corrupted if something hiccups. And yes I will have to try the voltage increase. CPU-Z says I am running at 1.395 for CPU voltage currently. Also noticed my memory was set to 1T when it is supposed to be rated at 2T. Might be causing some instability on my machine?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2011 10:48:16 PM

yes setting ram to 1T when it's rated 2T can cause instability...although you might be able to run it at 1T with an increase of ram voltage...
But to be sure set it to 2T and then adjust the cpu so it's stable, then you can try setting it back to 1T and seeing if it needs a voltage boost...
January 26, 2011 12:41:00 PM

okay I tried 1.45 volts both stock and unlocked with four cores. The CPU did not like the voltage setting at all. Crashed everytime, would not even boot up Windows. I can bump multipliers and the chip loves that. I am running 3.8 Ghz with the stock 2 cores 18x multiplier, stock voltage, and memory set to 1T setting. Although, I could not figure out which fields to change on the memory modules to set optimal settings. Maybe 1.45 is too much? Seemed to take a step backwards at that voltage? With the cores unlocked it runs 1.4 volts. Auto setting for the multiplier is 16x, if I lower that number with four cores unlocked. Would the lower multiplier help stabilize the chip?
January 26, 2011 12:45:48 PM

forgot to add, when I run with the 18x multiplier, my temp reads around 18 degrees
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2011 6:28:47 AM

18 degs idle? hmm and too much voltage happens sometime...I noticed it At 4Ghz when adding a bit more voltage would make the cpu less stable..which is weird and actually shouldn't be like that...

My educated guess is if the cpu gets less stable when you in crease voltage then the cpu you have is lower binned (than most would desire) When the cpu is lower binned it could mean that the chip has a transistor issue...the transistors are weaker (and most likely have higher voltage leaks) and eat more power to run...when they eat more power however they leak more as well and that leads to higher temps...which could make your cpu less stable...

but that's where it would start contradicting if your cpu runs cool on load...how hot is it on load?
January 27, 2011 10:15:14 AM

I'm not sure why, but the MSI support center is having strange issues. I'll go ahead and try to re-download the update and use m-flash though instead.
January 27, 2011 3:29:03 PM

What is a safe temp.? It hovers around 16-17 bone stock. Doesn't seem to move much higher. But, I was going to run core temp and 3dmark06 to get more accurate numbers. AMD overdrive does not seem to accurate? I wonder if it is a voltage issue? Because I reset back to 2 cores and bumped the multiplier and put a little more voltage in it. Does the same exact thing when there is a load on the processor it shuts down and blue sreen pops up with memory dump. So unlocked or overclocked I am having the same issue.
January 27, 2011 3:36:41 PM

Does not make sense? I stress tested the processor with AMD overdrive, which I know is not the greatest program to test with and it passed, with 4 cores unlocked. But when I start putting heavy video usage on it. For example, it likes to do this during the game (The Witcher) I run it at full graphic settings, because I know I have the power and it locks up after approx. an hour of play. Does the whole shutdown and blue screen thing.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2011 3:39:31 PM

sounds like a voltage issue...maybe not even just the cpu voltage but maybe a couple motherboard voltages or memory voltage...the memory controller on the cpu might not have enough voltage or the memory itself might not have enough voltage...
Make sure your ram settings are set to manufacturers recommended settings (timings and voltage)
January 27, 2011 3:51:16 PM

So recheck my memory voltages and settings. Should I unlock the 4 cores and run 3dmark06 and adjust voltages from there? I believe I can unlock the cores but getting the stability during heavy usage is the problem I'm having correct? Also, what are maximum temps i would want to see without damaging the chip? I will use core temp to monitor that. Would lowering the voltage help?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2011 7:17:01 PM

Lowering voltage helps with lower temps...however the chip could be less stable...
Just make sure you don't go over 60C as the max is 62 on the x4 phenom IIs on the dual ones it's 70 but let's assume you unlock the cores so keep it below 60 and you're fine.
Well from what you have said it seems like you have stability issues unlocked and not unlocked when overclocking. Try to see if you can get the cpu stable @ stock speed but unlocked and then run 3dmark...
So your goal is to make the cpu stable at stock speed but all 4 course unlocked...Once you get that then you can try overclocking...
If you can't get it stable at stock all 4 cores unlocked then try just getting 2 cores stock stable...
January 27, 2011 8:37:42 PM

I think i'm close to solving this problem. Thank you for the advice, much appreciated.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2011 4:35:59 AM

Close? that's good lol...I tried to be helpful although idk if I was lol...
keep us posted on what's going on...
February 7, 2011 3:47:34 PM

I'm finally back, heh. I was gone a while but in that time I noticed something I should say before I use M-Flash.

I doubt BIOS is causing the second issue, but eh you never know. I have a feeling for the first, it is. The first is that my PC seems to crash a lot now. My CPU temperature is fair and I reset my CPU settings in case I overclocked wrong. It still crashes, and the weirdest thing is that it only crashes while idle. Usually when I'm away from it for 20 minutes or so. The second is that I'm a gamer, so I have ports open for both my xbox and PC. For my xbox, the ports work fine, but for my PC it seems that they're still blocked. I opened them through my firewall too.
July 20, 2011 1:15:14 PM

Hey Videl.

I had my 555 BE unlocked to 4 cores, then all of a sudden my computer rebooted during some Gameplay in Aion.

Couldn't get it starting again, and then I gave up for abit, and my mate started touching it and he reseted CMOS. And upon that which my BIOS was flashed, and the Cores were put from 4 to 2.

Now we're sitting here trying to re-activate the Cores, but with several different bios versions with the
MSI 770 c45 rev 1.0 we're unable to get any kind of contact with the other 2 cores.

We've tried enabling only Unlock CPU,
tried enabling only ACC,
tried everything that we could possibly think of,

But upon enabling any of the above the computer just won't get started after a Bios-save and reboot.

So what could've happened? And where do we go from here on?

Sincere Regards
Pontus
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2011 11:37:41 PM

Ok make sure"
1. Core unlock is enabled
2. ACC is set to allcores auto or allcores -2%
3. your cpu vcore is at least 1.325 and try picking it up to 1.45

if it still doesn't want to boot with 1.45v on the cpu then I think here is what happened.

you originally had a weak or slightly faulty coe and under big stress it blew out or died and now it doesn't want to unlock...in that case you're stuck with a dual core unfortunately...

try what I recommended and post if anything changed... ;) 

!