Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Newb help on overclocking?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 21, 2011 11:57:44 PM

Hi, I just installed a Corsair H-50 recently and I have an Intel i7 930 @ 2.8ghz. What/how is the safest way to overclock it to 3.4ghz. I need like a step by step process. Thanks! :D 

EDIT: I have an ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard just incase you need that info.

More about : newb overclocking

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2011 12:03:30 AM

The quick answer is increase your blck in small increments until you get to the desired speed...from 2.8 to 3.4 you probably won't even need a voltage bump...so this shouldn't be too hard...and lower your dram clock or multiplier or divider until you get as clock as possible to your stock ram speed...

there are a few good guides out there that have step by step info...here are some
We have a good simple and short enough guide on my site here
http://frozentek.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&...

and here are some others, lol google is your friend buddy...

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-...
http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutorials/1336986.htm
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=P6...
Well good luck ;) 
January 23, 2011 12:57:42 AM

Hey thanks for the reply and info! I actually read into it and I copied some guys settings to get it to 4.01ghz for the same motherboard. Its still kinda unstable and I'm bumping up the voltage each increment everytime i get a blue screen. Its gets pretty stable though. Heres the settings, I only modified the CPU voltage and the QPI Voltage. Are they okay settings?

4ghz w/ hyperthreading ON:

Ai Overclock Tuner.....................[Manual]
CPU Ratio Setting......................[21.0]
Intel(r) SpeedStep(tm) Tech............[Disabled]
Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode...........[Enabled]
BCLK Frequency.........................[191]
PCIE Frequency.........................[100]
DRAM Frequency.........................[Auto]
UCLK Frequency.........................[Auto]
QPI Link Data Rate.....................[Auto]

CPU Voltage Control....................[Manual]
CPU Voltage............................[1.25625]
CPU PLL Voltage........................[1.80]
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage..................[Auto]
IOH Voltage............................[1.14]
IOH PCIE Voltage.......................[1.50]
ICH Voltage............................[1.20]
ICH PCIE Voltage.......................[1.50]
DRAM Bus Voltage.......................[1.64]
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA...........[Auto]
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA...........[Auto]
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB...........[Auto]
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB...........[Auto]
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC...........[Auto]
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC...........[Auto]

Load-Line Calibration..................[Enabled]
CPU Differential Amplitude.............[800mV]
CPU Clock Skew.........................[Delay 300ps]
CPU Spread Spectrum....................[Disabled]
IOH Clock Skew.........................[Auto]
PCIE Spread Spectrum...................[Disabled]

C1E Support............................[Disabled]
Hardware Prefetcher....................[Enabled]
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch...........[Enabled]
Intel(r) Virtualization Tech...........[Disabled]
CPU TM Function........................[Enabled]
Execute Disable Bit....................[Enabled]
Intel(r) HT Technology.................[Enabled]
Active Processor Cores.................[All]
A20M...................................[Disabled]
Intel(r) SpeedStep(tm) Tech............[Disabled]
Intel(r) C-STATE Tech..................[Disabled]

m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2011 1:06:53 AM

Try picking up the cpu vcore to 1.28 to get a bit more stability out of it...also try picking up the PCIE frequency a little to something like 110...on my motherboard picking up cpuvtt voltage would make it more stable but I don't see it on your board...also try picking up IOH voltage a little...and see if it's stable...

I'm thinking these settings should get it stable...but not sure, I don't have your chip...try em out though...good luck ;) 
m
l
January 23, 2011 1:50:47 AM

Alright Ill try some stuff like that. Thanks man.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2011 3:54:19 AM

yeah no problem...you might actually be able to get it stable...
m
l
January 23, 2011 12:47:43 PM

Well i'm going on about 15 hours here of it at 1.25625 without any blue screen. So its doing pretty well but as soon as it does a blue screen I'm gona do what you said.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2011 10:37:08 PM

lol...well 15 hours is pretty stable for me lol...
Run intel burn test for like 10-20 runs on all 8 threads with full ram ussage...
if it passes it's pretty stable...you would most likely never load the cpu to full 100% for that much time anyway...unless you're doing 3d rendering or folding...
m
l
January 24, 2011 10:59:38 AM

Alright yeah ill see what i can do.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 3:07:27 PM

ok great...although like I said it already sounds pretty stable if it doesn't crash the first 30 min - and hour...so you're probably on pretty stable ground lol ;) 
m
l
January 24, 2011 11:55:04 PM

Alright sweet haha. What does it mean if the voltage is in yellow, purple or red in the bios. Is that bad?? Cause im also trying to overclock the ram just a lil and things seemed a lil sluggish so i bumped up qpi/dram voltage to a purple and its alot faster now. What would happen if it was in the red? CPU voltage is now 1.27 btw. Im just gona leave it there.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2011 12:33:00 AM

it's just the motherboard manufacturers rating system or dangerousness....lol...
yellow is not risky at all...purple is you're getting warmer (green on other mobos)
and red is you are at risk if you don't have good cooling...so red is hot...try to never go over purple/green...
m
l
January 25, 2011 12:58:03 AM

Well Asus AI Suite says that my CPU temp is around 29-30C on idle and my MB is 29C so Idk what the RAM temp is?? Would it be okay to bump the qpi/dram voltage to red a lil. I have good cooling so..
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2011 4:43:47 AM

if you really need the bump to stability try it...and stress test to see if it will work...
also I hope you have a good power supply with good ripple suppression...so it won't kill your mobo...
m
l
January 25, 2011 9:47:48 AM

Well that wouldnt be good lol. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thats my power supply. I might just keep it at purple for the dram because of what you said. Its at 1.4V and if i go the next increment it will be red. Is my PSU even safe now at where i have my overclock settings? Im kinda worried now haha.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2011 11:06:24 PM

haha well luckily that antec psu is actually pretty good so don't worry about the psu killing it now...although 1.4 is not too high for dram... is it the qpi/dram? cause then it sorta is...if it is, you can also raise just the normal dram voltage a bit...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2011 5:44:33 AM

yeah that's it...that's the ram voltage try picking that up if you need to make it more stable...that's the voltage that you set to ram manufacturers recommended (or higher for stability or if overclocking)
m
l
January 26, 2011 1:34:22 PM

Hi guys,

I am using the same motherboard as ngrungebb91 except I have an i7-950. Is it safe to assume that the settings and guides discussed on this thread will work just as well with the 950 (relative to the 930 which ngrun has)?????
m
l
January 26, 2011 7:11:19 PM

Honestly, if it's a 930, you could probably leave all the settings on auto and see if it passes prime overnight. 3.4 GHz isn't a serious overclock for a chip with a D0 stepping (like the 930). With the hardware you mentioned you'll probably only need to have a higher cpu voltage, and not much higher at that.

I would leave the voltages on auto / default, up the bclock to get the speed you need. Check your memory speeds, make sure you're not overclocking your memory, too.
m
l
January 26, 2011 7:12:50 PM

edwardo, your chip is also a D0 stepping, so it'll likely overclock easier. What speed do you want to hit with it?
m
l
January 26, 2011 7:55:02 PM

videl said:
yeah that's it...that's the ram voltage try picking that up if you need to make it more stable...that's the voltage that you set to ram manufacturers recommended (or higher for stability or if overclocking)

Hah actually my ram voltage is already at 1.64V from the overclocking guide i got to make it 4.01ghz speed. So should i turn down my QPI/DRAM voltage anyway though?
m
l
January 26, 2011 8:01:22 PM

@edwardo, if you're trying to hit 3.4 GHz I would leave voltage settings on auto, and adjust the bclock to get you that speed. Keep an eye on your temps and make sure you're not overclocking your ram.
I like to keep mine below about 80C at load. My i7-940 (C0 stepping) hit 3.6 Ghz stable with the voltage on auto. If you really want to be nice to your chip, set the cpu voltage to its default and run prime. If it doesn't bluescreen overnight (or as long as you want to run it) you're good. If it bluescreens are locks up you're going to want to raise the vcore slightly until you're stable, watching your temperatures. But unless you're trying to get the chip past 3.8GHz I wouldn't expect you to have any real issues.

If you haven't already invested in a decent cooler, you'll want to pick one up. The Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus is a pretty good cooler, and only about $30 USD. Good luck.
m
l
January 26, 2011 8:03:46 PM

@ngrundge
If you want to take care of your chip, I would slowly lower all the voltages to find out what you need. Lower the voltage, prime it for a while, and if need be raise it slowly. This takes a while, but it is the preferred method to getting a stable and cool (relatively), while "safe."
m
l
January 26, 2011 10:39:55 PM

I do have it lowered. If i go any lower than it wont be stable and i get blue screens. Heres the final verdict and i wanna see what people think....... 4.01ghz, CPU Voltage at 1.27v, 29-31C @ Idle 55-60C @ Full load, Ram OC'd to 1526mhz, 9-9-9-24 Timings. DRAM Core Voltage 1.64V and QPI/DRAM Voltage 1.37V.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2011 5:56:29 AM

^ actually that sounds not too bad...sound close-ish to a 950 overclock I had for this dude...if lowering the voltage a notch makes the system stable then you're are at good settings right now...
m
l
January 27, 2011 4:38:24 PM

TheIcarusEffect said:
edwardo, your chip is also a D0 stepping, so it'll likely overclock easier. What speed do you want to hit with it?

Thanks Icarus,

I dont' have a specific speed I am trying to get it to. I am essentially trying to max it out while maintaining a stable system - not sure what number that might be yet. I was going to try the incremental approach.

m
l
January 28, 2011 9:57:18 AM

videl said:
^ actually that sounds not too bad...sound close-ish to a 950 overclock I had for this dude...if lowering the voltage a notch makes the system stable then you're are at good settings right now...

Alright thanks man. Ill see what i can do.
m
l
February 4, 2011 10:21:11 AM

Best answer selected by ngrungebb91.
m
l
!