How to stop wireless packet loss for gaming

SniperGuyy

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hi, I have a Netgear Wireless-G WGR614 router and a Zonet ZEW1630 802.11g MIMO Wireless Adapter running some version of XP.

I only have this problem when playing in an online game, not in a single player game. This means my system is able to handle it just fine, as it is not graphical or anything like that. It happens about every thirty seconds or so regardless of how good or bad my ping is. The game stops for several seconds then starts again, completely ruining whatever I was doing at the time. I also know it is a wireless issue as when I used a wire to connect to the router this problem went away immediately.

Thank you for any help or suggestions. I also hope this is the right sub-category.

G

Optimise your wireless reception by raising the router above furniture level, experiment with different wireless channels (especially keep 5 channels away from strongest neighbouring wifi network). Relocate cordless phone base or video sender away from computer or router.

Also try lowering MTU in the router in steps of 100 (there's a free program called TCPOptimizer which might guide you on MTU setting)