I/o device error on my 500Gb external hard disk(Freeagent)

A.alaikum.
I have a serious problem on my 500GB Sea gate external Hard disk. the problem is when i try to copy large files from it, after sometime the dialog box apperar (I/O device error, ). on windows Xp the problem is ( Windows Delayed, write failed) i have bought usb cable, but still problem there! need help,
2 answers Last reply
More about device error 500gb external hard disk freeagent
  1. The disk may be on it's way out. First, backup all the files that you need from it.
    Then, run a checkdisk: open a command window and type
    chkdsk x: /f/r
    where x is that drive's letter, as it appears in Explorer.
    Then, run a cleanup and a defrag.
    How old is the drive? You might end up needing a replacement anyways. You can try opening the external enclosure and replacing the disk inside.
    If it is still in warranty, return it for a replacement. Make sure you erase all the data from it using a low-level formatting tool, like Killdisk (download and install it ).
  2. Quote:
    A.alaikum.
    I have a serious problem on my 500GB Sea gate external Hard disk. the problem is when i try to copy large files from it, after sometime the dialog box apperar (I/O device error, ). on windows Xp the problem is ( Windows Delayed, write failed) i have bought usb cable, but still problem there! need help,
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Devices Windows XP Storage