tisello

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Why is there such a big price difference on the AMD quad core and the Intel quad core?

I mean the 2.66 amd costs around 163€ and the Intel 2.66 costs around 209€. Why is there such a big difference?

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
the market unevened with the arrival of the core2 and intel has charged a premium for their cpu since.

if intel thinks it can gouge you, it will.

amd on the other hand, has been playing underdog for awhile now. they need to entice people to come back to amd. they do this with a superior pricing scheme. intel has severly lowered its prices because of this.

I assume the comparison is to a i7-920. The i7 will be faster. It has hyperthreading which giives it the appearance of 8 cores. It also has a different internal architecture that will let it execute more instructions per base clock cycle.

Look for some benchmark comparisons of the workload that you will have:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3551&p=11

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
if u want to be a good person, you will choose amd. (lol not really, but *I* think its a good idea to support AMD when I can.)

if you dont care about doing whats "right." go with whatever tickles your fancy.

i for one, am a huge amd supporter... however all my heavy purchases have been intel and nvidia lately.

i bought an amd HTPC... does that make me a good person? haha.

xaira

Distinguished
^amd is the better choice for htpc anyway, integrated audio

if its an i7 2.6v AMD 2.6 i7 is better

anything else is amd, overall build cost with i7 will be alot more than amd.

gxpbecker

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
If you want to dish out the $$ then go with the i7, it is faster then all AMD has to offer.

However you are paying a good price for 5-10% performance. I would say stick with AMD Phenom II unless you have the extra cash for i7.

redkachina

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
agreed with gxpbecker..
It all depends on your wallet..performance wise, Intel (i7) is faster - more expensive. but I'm using AMD as it's wallet-friendly and I don't really need all that computing horsepower anyway.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Go AMD, dont sway to the dark side and higher prices for nearly identical real world performance.

Well since i know you like AMD alot, i thought i'd tell you this first Soldier (nothing bad i also like AMD) =). In 2010 there going to sell 8 core Opterons, then 16 core high end opteron in 2011. The article i read this in came out today or yesterday, i'll look through my history and post a link. And luckily for us am3 socket people, after the 965 they said there planning something special that will work with the AM3 socket, and compete with the i7 chips. And they apparently are 1 nm (no joke) ahead of intel now. Intel plans to release 33nm i7's and AMD's newer chips will be 32 nm. weird.

J0SEPH

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
In the states we have a word for people who use AMD. We call them "rednecks"
There are some pluses though to owning one, such as...

-In most localities they can actually be bought with food stamps

-They're closest you can come to giving your computer a mullet

-You can't play Crysis but who cares, you can play Minesweeper at 50 fps

-When it breaks in a week you can use it to pluck your banjo

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Must...Not...Feed...the....Trolls....

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Soldier37 is allowed his opinions, just as you are. Should you be banned?

Me, I'm hardware-agnostic. Last build ended up as a 939 Opti 175, this build is an i7. Last build had NVIDIA 6800 ultra's in SLI, this build has a 4870 1GB. I could afford a pair of high end opti's or xeons but just really can't justify the $ for the few rare times that they would save me some time. I'll just go out back and feed the birds for a bit, drink another coffee, whatever...

My paying job does give me access to quite a few very high end workstations, and I am tempted to keep one every now and then... And do, for a week or so, but then on-sell it to someone who really needs it (and will pay me what it is worth).

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

ORLY? That also is an opinion.... In my opinion Soldier37 is just an AMD fan. a hardcore AMD fan, as are a few others I could name, but a fan. I barrack for the Wallabies, my partner prefers the All Blacks. That makes us fans.

In my opinion, JOSEPH is a troll... But that is just an opinion.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... amd... if you are mid budget... by a good AM3 board... that mean that you can upgrade... i have a AM2+ board... i upgraded form Ax2 6400>Px4 9600BE>Px4 9950BE> PIIx4 940 and i can still upgrade to AM3 Phenom II x4... longer lifespan and more upgradeable... if some body says, that i7 is better in video coding/decoding... they are not in to new... i transcode video with my HD4870... a video 1:34 long from MPG2 to iPhone in 8 minutes... and in the higher resolutions the i7 evens out with Phenom II 955... the physics in new games are calculated with video card anyways... and OpenCL kick's off...

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Go AMD, dont sway to the dark side and higher prices for nearly identical real world performance.

Identical real world performance in games only, in everything else the
i7's has no equal.

ANy company will gouge you when they can and if they can. AMD is no different. Its because of Core 2 AMD has had to lower their pricing scheme, yes.

But comparisons wise, if it is the 920 i7 its a faster overall CPU. In gaming they will do the same.

For gaming yes. But for pretty much everything else the i7 would beat anything out there by quite a bit. Don't let your favortism sway you.

Depends. It could or it might not. Some builds are just $100 more for a Core i7 build. Thats not too bad.

Um..... 33nm? Yet the Core i5s in testing are 32nm.... and AMD has no plans for 32nm in the near future.....

And I missing something???