Sign in with
Your question

Buying a new HDD for an old system.

Last response: in Storage
December 1, 2010 12:54:01 PM

Ok well my thread description isn't completely accurate. I'm looking for an HDD for my current PC which doesn't have Sata6GB. PC spec is in my sig. I was thinking about buying a Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200rpm SATA6GB/s so when the new CPU's from AMD and Intel hit the market next year i will probably want to upgrade my Mobo, CPU and Ram and hence will take advantage of the SATA6GB/s then.

I know SATA6GB/s is backwards compatible with SATA3GB/s, just want to know how will it perform against normal 7200rpm SATA3GB/s HDD's on a SATA3GB/s mobo? Will it perform exactly the same as SATA3GB/s drives or slower? faster?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

More about : buying hdd system

a b G Storage
December 1, 2010 5:37:57 PM

SATA III HDD are kind of a gimmick. Why? Well because the bottleneck isn't the transfer rate through the sata cable, the bottleneck is the speed of the drive itself.

SATA III will only be useful in the future for SSD drives (and other newer components that use this interface).

So, don't spend more on a HDD that is SATA III, you are just throwing money away really.
a b G Storage
December 1, 2010 6:11:15 PM

No problem, glad you found something to back me up :) 
!