Sign in with
Your question

Will This PSU Work?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 22, 2011 4:42:05 PM

Okay, So I have this raidmax PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] rx%20850ae I know everyone says RAidmax is horrible and garbage and junk, but i even though it is not the same as Corsair, will it work? Is it safe for my RIg? Otherwise they wouldnt make them if they were truly blowing out peoples rigs right?

I have one Sapphire 5870 2gb eyefinity card, a intel i7 950, with 8gb of ram, and a gigabyte X58-USB3 motherboard, and a Arctic Freezer 13 CPU cooler, and a kingston SSD.

Thanks

More about : psu work

a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2011 8:54:38 PM

Well if you absolutely can't get another psu then yes the raidmax would probably work it's just that as a probability it's not known to be the best psu brand...but if you want to go with a raidmax psu at least get one of the slightly better ones like this one... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it's rating is not so bad...it's 700W and it is 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified which is not as good as gold but at least it's better than plain nothing...lol...and if price is why you're going with raidmax then this ones good...it's just that raidmax starts losing voltages faster than others...
btw your link is broken...
m
l
January 22, 2011 9:14:43 PM

videl said:
Well if you absolutely can't get another psu then yes the raidmax would probably work it's just that as a probability it's not known to be the best psu brand...
but if you want to go with a raidmax psu at least get one of the slightly better ones like this one...it's rating is not so bad...it's 700W and it is 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified which is not as good as gold but at least it's better than plain nothing...lol
it's just that raidmax starts losing voltages faster than others...

+1
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2011 12:02:25 AM

yutubemedia said:
Otherwise they wouldnt make them if they were truly blowing out peoples rigs right?

:lol:  , I'm guessing your pretty young.

SURE they will warranty the PSU after it has blown and send you another one, and then you have to buy (or figure out how to warranty) all the rest of the parts the PSU took with it. It's not there problem.

This is of course a worst case example, but YES is does happen all the time. Buy a reputable brand PSU and then that's one less thing to worry about in your life, besides providing better, cleaner power to your system.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2011 12:09:37 AM

Yup...it happens I've seen it happen on a couple of systems with bad PSUs...sometimes when it dies you're not lucky and it kills a motherboard and maybe something else...Sometimes you're luck and all you have to replace is the psu...it's all about if you're willing to risk it...
That's why I said buy it only if you absolutely can't afford anything better...if you can't well then you might as well buy a raidmax better with a system with crappy psu than with no psu at all...lol...It's not guaranteed that your psu will die...theres just a high enough risk that it might that people don't like em...but if you must buy a raidmax then buy one like I suggested higher...one that at least has higher ratings...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2011 12:45:27 AM

I don't know where these other posters are getting their information from but the Raidmax RX-850AE is 80 PLUS GOLD Certified.

It provides 34 Amps on each of its four +12V rails with a max combined of 61 Amps.

An HD 5870, running at stock clock speeds, will draw a max of 15.4 Amps from the +12 Volt rail.

The i7 CPU will draw a maximum of 13.3 Amps peak (8 Amps nominal).

Your Raidmax RX-850AE is more than capable of handling your current system configuration with a lot in reserve to handle any overclocking you may want to do.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2011 12:50:41 AM

Wait he has the RX-850AE? oh I see...I didn't notice it...well that is one of the best PSUs from raidmax...So it might not be so bad after all...lol...if his link wasn't dead I would have actually seen what it was...lol...
As to weather or not it's cable of handling the system, yes it is...the question was a matter of quality...since he has one of the more expensive raidmax PSUs, he might not have any problems with it...it's the cheap ones that have a lot of issues...
m
l
January 23, 2011 5:30:52 PM

videl said:
Well if you absolutely can't get another psu then yes the raidmax would probably work it's just that as a probability it's not known to be the best psu brand...but if you want to go with a raidmax psu at least get one of the slightly better ones like this one... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it's rating is not so bad...it's 700W and it is 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified which is not as good as gold but at least it's better than plain nothing...lol...and if price is why you're going with raidmax then this ones good...it's just that raidmax starts losing voltages faster than others...

Actually yeah, even thought th link was broken, you could see it said "RX-850AE" in it. But ya this is the link to the one i got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
January 23, 2011 5:35:10 PM

RJR said:
:lol:  , I'm guessing your pretty young.

SURE they will warranty the PSU after it has blown and send you another one, and then you have to buy (or figure out how to warranty) all the rest of the parts the PSU took with it. It's not there problem.

This is of course a worst case example, but YES is does happen all the time. Buy a reputable brand PSU and then that's one less thing to worry about in your life, besides providing better, cleaner power to your system.

YEs, as Ko888 said above, Its the Raidmax RX-850AE, one of their higher brands, heres the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... So apparently its actually pretty good
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2011 7:38:42 PM

Although I still wouldn't recommend it...look at the price...the other golds are more expensive...
m
l
January 23, 2011 7:50:16 PM

videl said:
Although I still wouldn't recommend it...look at the price...the other golds are more expensive...

Yes, I agree Corsair is a better brand and raidmax is lower end. But I got it for free, So i figure might as well use it huh?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2011 9:50:33 PM

haha lol...yeah why not if it was free? lol
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 2:25:37 PM

80plus.org tests under an unrealistic 23C ambient temperature. What this means is that this PSU, in actual use, might manage bronze level efficiency. It was tested at full load though, so it can probably produce what's on its label, even if efficiency is lower. This is a lot better than the chokemax PSUs from a few years ago (many of which are still being sold) which flame-out in less than a minute under 75% load.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 2:32:20 PM

^Now that is crazy bad...it would die fast in my computer...I load my PSU a lot...lol...
power eating graphics, cpu and all of my hard drives and fans...ll of it adds up to almost max my psu at it's limit and it still works great...if I had that chokemax i'd probably be crying...lol...
m
l
January 24, 2011 4:36:57 PM

OMG you guys, im sure its fine, as that dude above said, its heir higher end, and im not running crossfire or anything, i do have a 2gb 5870 and a i7 950, but yeah
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 6:51:13 PM

Yes yes it is their higher end...I'm not saying your won't do it...I'm just saying I wouldn't choose it if I had to choose between it and say like antec...
m
l
January 24, 2011 7:23:25 PM

videl said:
Yes yes it is their higher end...I'm not saying your won't do it...I'm just saying I wouldn't choose it if I had to choose between it and say like antec...

Believe me i would rather have corsair any day of the week over raidmax, but since i got this raidmax one for free it saves me $150! 8)
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 7:29:04 PM

I would have done the same probably...as i don't have that much money...lol...
m
l
January 24, 2011 7:33:01 PM

videl said:
I would have done the same probably...as i don't have that much money...lol...

Why does your CPU z validater banner say not validated?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 7:35:54 PM

Hahaha..idk maybe because it crashed as it was validating...lol...or cpuz found the configuration not possible or something...but it actually ran at that speed for a couple of minutes in windows...lol...
m
l
January 26, 2011 7:35:08 AM

hmm ..you think one end PSUs are THAT bad ..gosh ..I was gonna get one of em ..a mercury 750w ..
m
l
May 11, 2011 4:06:53 PM

yutubemedia said:
OMG you guys, im sure its fine, as that dude above said, its heir higher end, and im not running crossfire or anything, i do have a 2gb 5870 and a i7 950, but yeah

Everyone here is talking out there a$$.

The 850w Raidmax unit in question is one of the best raidmax psu's available. The actual OEM is andyson, not topower or some other crap oem. Your system will NEVER draw even close to 650w, let alone 850w. You could crossfire 5870's on that psu and be fine. It may not be the most voltage stable, or have the best ripple suppression but it is far from a crap psu.

Also, efficiency is not what makes a good psu. Its the quality of the capacitors, the voltage regulation, and the ripple and noise suppression. If you dont know what Im talking about then stop posting on PSU threads.

Corsair... corsair.. corsair. I am soo tired of hearing this. Corsair makes good units, yes, but they are made by channel well except the V2's. Right now there are better units available from seasonic(oem). People need to do the research before buying a psu. For the money there are much BETTER units available than corsair.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2011 7:03:59 PM

biorganic said:
Everyone here is talking out there a$$.

The 850w Raidmax unit in question is one of the best raidmax psu's available. The actual OEM is andyson, not topower or some other crap oem. Your system will NEVER draw even close to 650w, let alone 850w. You could crossfire 5870's on that psu and be fine. It may not be the most voltage stable, or have the best ripple suppression but it is far from a crap psu.

Also, efficiency is not what makes a good psu. Its the quality of the capacitors, the voltage regulation, and the ripple and noise suppression. If you dont know what Im talking about then stop posting on PSU threads.

Corsair... corsair.. corsair. I am soo tired of hearing this. Corsair makes good units, yes, but they are made by channel well except the V2's. Right now there are better units available from seasonic(oem). People need to do the research before buying a psu. For the money there are much BETTER units available than corsair.

You obviously haven't read my post above so you're the one who's talking out their a$$.

Of the Corsair PSUs that haven't been discontinued:

The models CMPSU-450VX, CMPSU-750TXV2, CMPSU-850TXV2, CMPSU-750AX and MPSU-850AX use Seasonic as the OEM.

The CMPSU-1200AX use Flextronics as the OEM.

The remaining models use CWT (Channel Well Technology) as the OEM.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2011 11:29:09 PM

Like I said earlier the raidmax will do fine as long as it's no pushed to the limit...
But I would if I had the choice choose something like a corsair or antec over it...
and I'm just being hypothetical...but if he gets it for free then it's a great deal as long as its running with no issues I don't see why it should get any issues....

btw yutubemedia,
choose a best answer ;) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 6, 2012 12:07:50 AM

I have this PSU, it works great and I have it under a good load. I have used it for about a year and a half now with 2 hard drives, a dvd drive, 7 case fans, an HD 6770, 8 GB of DDR3 1667 Mhz ram upped to 1.65 Volts each, and an overlocked Phenom IIx6 1035T. It did not give me any issues until I used a fan controller, and after getting it checked out, it was a fault with the fan controller (bad pin). I had the fan on it making some scary noise before, but after a good tap or two it stopped and hadnt made the noise since. I have read from some places that the 80 Plus gold is bull, and so is the quality of power. A few places said it was comparable to a 750 Watt Corsair Enthusiat TX v2, so just dont load it past 750 watts :p .
m
l
!